FishyItch's 14' V-Hull Mod: Finally!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishyItch

Reaction score
First of all, let me just say I feel happy and honored to finally be starting a thread in the "Jon and V boat Conversions and Modifications" section of this forum.

Anyway, a few days ago I finally mowed my parents lawn, cut a path through the tall grass to the shed where my boat spent the winter, pulled off the tarp and set up shop.

I have no idea as to the year or maker, but I bought it ten years ago as a freshman in high school. I plan on doing a simple raised deck type thing, but here's what I'm starting with...

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 977
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
And, boy did I feel like a man making my first trip to Menard's to buy some lumber. Pushing around that lumber cart was the most fun I've had in a long time. I was able to fit plenty of 8' 2x4's in my new-to-me Subaru and I even got a chance to at least cut the bench pieces.

You'll notice that I'm leaving the front and middle benches in. Those aluminum casings are filled with foam. I think I'm going to leave the rear bench out though, as pictured. When I lay plywood over the whole thing I'm thinking about leaving the rear portion of the rear bench completely open so I can put stuff under there like a gas can, fire extinguisher, life jackets, etc.

As you'll see, I haven't had a chance to put too much time in, but it's a good enough start to make me feel like I did something. This weekend I'll try to finish the 2x4 frame and seal everything up with some spar urethane. Then I plan on putting a raised play wood deck in the front from the middle bench to the front bench. I'm going to have a supportive spine running down the center of the boat for the raised deck in front, but I'm not sure how to support the edges of the raised deck yet. Hmmm.

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 974
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG