Going for Salmon this weekend - first time

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamefisher

Reaction score
A friend from high school (who gave me the idea to take up fishing in the first place), invited me on a trip to Pulaski, NY to fish the Salmon River. The trip is coming up this weekend, and we are going to be wading the river for salmon & steelhead if we are lucky. I've never tried this before, but he & his family members have gone for several years. Wish us luck!

Matt

Pulaski, thats off of Lake Ontario I think...right? I fish rivers off of Lake Ontario here in Ontario lol. I am going to go probably friday. (15 minute drive from my house) Have to get some eggs for the Steelhead run in Georgian Bay. I will be wading as well. I am going to bring 4 rods. 2 will have Flies and the other will have an egg immitation. A bait caster rod will be for drifting a spoon or medium size plug.

I use rods from 8'6" - 9'6" All spinning rods are spooled with 8lb Silverthread and 10lb Suffix Elite. With 8lb and 10lb Fluorocarbon leaders. The Casting rod is spooled with 14lb Suffix Siege Green.

Just something to think bout.

Anyways, I hope you have alot of fun n get a 40lb from there, theres lots ;) and stay safe!

The Lures.
200810011216420001xi1.jpg

The Flies and Terminal Tackle
200810011217200003vs7.jpg

The Rods and Reels
200810011217460004sg7.jpg

Salmon_Slayer_2008_Lund said:
Pulaski, thats off of Lake Ontario I think...right?

Yes, just a couple miles off Ontario. He is bringing all the fishing tackle - I don't know much about what we are using, but he described it as a Shimano setup that is somewhere between a spinning rig and a fly rig.

This was definitely an interesting & fun weekend.

The group of guys we were fishing with were early risers - wake up around 4 to 4:30AM, so we can be at the spots by 5:30 before anyone else beats us there. :shock: I don't remember the last time I was awake at 4 AM. You can't legally fish until daylight, so when we get to the spot, we just hang out, prep gear, etc until around 7.

We went to a spot in on the Salmon river on Friday & Saturday. They tell me the river is higher and running faster then normal, but not to the point that it is too dangerous. It felt at least a little dangerous - I almost lost balance a few times. One of our guys did loose it and fall in, which just resulted in some hurt pride and wet clothing - otherwise he was fine.

Fishing was tough, they thought due to the high water. One in our group had 32 hookups that were lost, and only a couple actually netted. I managed one hookup day one after I got the basic technique, and a few more on day 2, but no fish.

On day 3, the flow of the water was predicted to drop, so we tried a different tributary that tends to trap fish when the water drops. At first, it did not seem to happen this time. It was overcast at first, but when the clouds cleared and the sun started coming out, it seems that the salmon woke up and started moving around, and we starting hooking them. Several of us got our limit of 3 fish by 1 PM. It was great action. These fish put on a hell of a fight. When you hook one, you can get them close, but when they see you or the net man, they take off and your drag screams. Then you have to try and stop them from getting down river into rapids without snapping the line, because if they do, your line is surely broken.

The gear my friend & I were using included Ugly Stick 9' fly rods, Shimano "Moocher" reels, and 15 lb. mono line. The bait was artificial salmon eggs.

Pictures will have to come later, as my camera wasn't working.

Matt, I am glad to see you got on some fish. I feel there is some danger every time I go fishing with Dave :wink: I can't wait to see the pics. From what I have heard this is the type of fishing I would love. I have try it one of these years.

Good job! I loved the report. Nothing beats fishing in the river in the fall season, whether it be Salmon or Trout. Check out my report if you would like, there is pics there.

I am going to make a report now :p

Finally got some pictures!

Attachments

• IMG000.JPG
    IMG000.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG020.JPG
    IMG020.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG023.JPG
    IMG023.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 162
Awesome pics Matt, those are some nice fish. I have gotta try it some time, looks like a blast. I bet I would get pissed though, breaking off fish after a long fight. How did they taste =P~ I love salmon.

Salmon_Slayer_2008_Lund said:
Very nice Kings!

Notice they're all males.

I am going to try a new technique next fall that I am currently thinking about.

Yes, we noticed that, the majority of our group's catch were males. There were only one or two females.

Attachments

• IMG003.JPG
    IMG003.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 66