Grumman 14' Scrambler Questions (Lot's)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojo^

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've been trolling on the forum for some time now and you've inspired me to take the plunge and buy a jon boat for conversion so this weekend I bought a 14' Grumman Scrambler with 25 hp. Johnson. The boat was manufactured in 1988 and the motor in 1997. Now, I've got a few questions about the boat.

While cleaning it up today I noticed a few things that need repairing before I proceed. The boat had been used for several years in brackish salt water conditions and I fully expected there to be leaks around some of the rivets. From this point forward, the boat will only be used in fresh water lakes and rivers. Today, I filled the boat with water and was surprised to find only a couple of pin hole sized leaks in an approx. eight inch area on the left and right sides of the transom. After careful examination it appears that the pin holes are the result of corrosion. In order to seal them, what would you guys recommend? I was thinking of cutting two panels of aluminum material and then using some sort of heavy duty epoxy adhesive to attach them to the exterior surface of the transom and them primer and paint over them when I repaint the boat. Does this sound feasible? Would it need fasteners as well?

Now, this one question is a little tricky and somewhat little difficult to explain. This boat is all metal and only has one bench seat towards the back and a smallish aluminum deck over the bow. Behind the rear bench seat are two enclosures on either side of the boat that fills the gap between the seat and the transom. They are approx. 18"L x 14"W and are attached with bolts and rivets. It appears that they are filled with some sort of foam material from the factory. I'm not sure why they would do that because this area is the perfect size for a battery or two on one side and a gas tank on the other leaving the center area open for a bilge pump and maybe a small back-up gas tank. The seat is also filled with this foam material as is the space under the front deck. Why does the manufacturer do this? What is it's purpose? Would it be advisable to cut-out the top of these two enclosures behind the seat and remove the foam so it would free-up some space? Would it be possible to do the same with the front deck over the bow? I was thinking about adding plywood decking on top and then incorporating a couple of hatches on each side for storage space but I don't want to damage the foam if it's serving some sort of purpose.

Sorry for the lengthy first post. Any advice will be most appreciated.

After several phone calls I determined that the two enclosures are basically reinforcements so the transom can handle larger motors. Personally, I think I can come up with a better design that doesn't use so much space but I'll have to see how ambitious I feel. Apparently, the boat is only rated for a 20 hp. motor. I just wanted to make a few repairs/modifications and get the boat in the water this summer but it's beginning to look like this might become a major project. I've got enough of those in various stages of completion as they are now.

I really could use some input and advice on what to do with the pin holes in the transom (areas approx. 10-12 inches below the aft handles). Anybody? [-o<

Grumm1.jpg

Grumm2.jpg

Grumm3.jpg

Grumm4.jpg

Grumm5.jpg

Grumm6.jpg

That's flotation foam. They use it to help keep the boat afloat in case of being capsized or swamped. You'll also find it under the seat. Personally I wouldn't remove it but there are plenty of tins out there with the foam removed. Some guys use blue/pink foam insulation to replace it. Not the best choice from what I've read but it's better than nothing.

Jimmie

Thanks for the reply Jimmie. If one determines that there is little chance of the boat being swamped or sinking, what are the risks associated with removing the foam completely?

It will sink. Don't know how one can determine that there is little chance of swamping or sinking. Those are things that just happen...............accidents.

Jimmie, why isn't in the best choice to replace it with the closed cell foam? The blue/pink insulation that is put down under floors is much more buoyant than the white stuff that they put in those pods/under seats.

Latest posts