Hail fishing in SE Pennsylvania 3-29-09

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Fished for a few hours this afternoon with Joe (jirwin) at two local lakes.

We were trying to locate the big crappie that reside in both lakes, but were having difficulty. Joe hooked and lost a smaller crappie at the 1st spot and caught about a dozen plus gills.

I hooked and lost a real nice LM Bass and landed this smaller one:

3-29-09_001.jpg

Also lost yet another X-rap, that makes about 20 this year already Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

At the next lake I immediately landed two dinky LM Bass - then we began the crappie hunt. For whatever reason they were not holding in the "normal" area - we started poking down the shorelines without any luck.

Finally, I was able to locate a school and landed this nice one:

3-29-09_002.jpg

As you can see in the background, the weather was changing and a dark black sky with a weird green color was rolling in. About 3 minutes after I found the crappie the lighting started and the wind picked up. We made a mad dash for the fish van and made it just as the sky opened.

All of the sudden in sounded like Keith Moon / Buddy Rich was practicing on the roof of van - large hail was beating a deafening rhythm - so loud that we had to yell to communicate

The hail was coming down thick
3-29-09_004.jpg

And was piling up:

3-29-09_007.jpg

3-29-09_008.jpg

We waited out the storm and fished for about another hour - the weird weather evidently put the fish down becuase they were not to be found - maybe the hail smashing the water freaked them out a little?

I'm glad you made it to the van! I was stuck in my truck in the Giant parking lot when the rain/hail hit. I was about to go in when it started. I imagine getting pelted with that would have hurt.

The weather was perfect yesterday until that storm came. At least u got some fishing in, before that mess.I noticed the gills and smaller bass are starting to make their way to the shallows. Shouldn't be long now

Way to catch some fish, bet those hailballs would have done some damage if U didnt run.

Nice fish ahhab,that hails some bad stuff!! I was caught out on the water once about a mile from the dock and and got hammered by the stuff......that was even at an idle :shock: Glad you guys made it back to the van without gettin'peppered!