Hard water fishing anyone?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basshunter25

Reaction score
Is anybody pumped to ice fish like I am? I already restrung my poles, organized then reorganized my tackle, and set the shanty up in the livingroom! I know this is a boat website but I can't be the only snowman on here. Cmon ice!

I've never tried ice fishing yet, I would like to. I have some equipment, but only have a hand auger. :(

Got tip ups and ice rods and and an underwater camera. Maybe this winter I'll give it a shot. Last year I catfished all winter and did pretty good fishing a power plant discharge. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_0001 (2).JPG
    IMG_0001 (2).JPG
    451 KB · Views: 532
Yeah I can't wait. I really only got into it a couple of years ago. Started out with just the essentials, hand auger, pole, and bucket. I have a shanty and a heater now so its that much more enjoyable. Its great to cure that cabin fever that sets in over the winter. Plus its when I really stock my freezer with gills and crappie since during the warm months I rarely pull out the gill pole because chasing the bass is too much fun. I know many of the members on here are from the southern states but it would be great to chat with the northerners about ice fishing. Just like regular fishing sharing tips and techniques is equally as valuable if not more when ice fishing. Maybe Jim will open up a section for us to post in :wink:

we are getting ready.hope to start early next week,here in central and northwest ohio.cant wait to get started.everybody be safe and have a great time.

We're ging with an outfitter, probably on Lake Simcoe. They provide the heated shack, tackle and even drive you out onto the lake in an enclosed Bombardier. Not really hard core. When I was a kid my dad and I used to take our snowmobiles to isolated little lakes and sit out in the cold all day with no shelter!

I'm a southerner, but if I lived in hard water area, I would be there! It looks like great fun; especially with those fancy huts to keep the cold down a little. I would worry about warming it up too much and melting the ice!

What amazes me is the size of the yellow perch (my Dad called them coontails) y'all catch up there! One of my favorite fish, but I have never caught them the size I see up north.

basshunter25 said:
Is anybody pumped to ice fish like I am? I already restrung my poles, organized then reorganized my tackle, and set the shanty up in the livingroom! I know this is a boat website but I can't be the only snowman on here. Cmon ice!

heck yeeeeaahh....

I'm getting the itch.... and it must be scratched. :mrgreen:

I'm getting antsy to try out the new Hummingbird!!!

DuraCraft said:
What amazes me is the size of the yellow perch (my Dad called them coontails) y'all catch up there! One of my favorite fish, but I have never caught them the size I see up north.

Yes sir. We have some great perch fishing up here and they are one of my favorite fish to eat!

basshunter25 said:
What model did you get perchin? Most small lakes have 1-3 inches already. I'm hoping to be out by next week!

Ice-45... I was going to go with the 55 but, couldn't really justify the defference between the two.

Well I was all ready to fork out 300 for the lowrance x67c from cabelas and just today someone posts a "used twice" x67c for 200 on craigslist! I am going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I already checked on trolling motor mount transducers and looks like I can get one for 50 bucks. I can't wait to play with it!

You Ice fishermen are crazy. LOL Ill fish till there is ice but ya wont catch me out on the ice. Im a chicken. Good luck though!

First of all I did get a chance a couple of years ago to go ice fishing and somewhat enjoyed it. If I lived where you do, I would somehow make myself go.

Secondly I was born and raised about as far South as you can get. We were griping today about last week the highs were 50 ish (brrrrr!) :D . This week the highs were around 60+. With this being said, the part I can not grasp was the propane heater in our ice shanty. Where I come from ice and heaters don't mix. Heat melts ice right :?: . I couldn't help but to watch the ice and make sure it wasn't melting under our feet. The part that scared the daylights out of me was I heard this awful noise that sounded something like thunder coming from the ice :shock: . I looked at the guys I was with and asked wwhhaatt wwwas that? Like it was no big deal said "ohhh thats just someone driving their motorhome out on the ice" :shock: . I said "and none of you forsee a problem with this". "Jeeze!!! That is insane. I'm heading back south".

Just a side note, when my daughter was real young she had never seen snow. So one day I packed her and my wife up and said we're driving until we hit snow. We drove until we hit the TN/KY line. She played in the snow for a couple of hours and then we drove home.

I know some of you are laughing your tails off at me right now, but at least I'm in shorts and a tee shirt right now. :LOL2: LOL

Ha Ha Yeah I think we have a bit thicker skin up here. Winter is great, it makes you appreciate tshirt and shorts weather. Ice fishing with some buddies, having a few beers, and taking home a mess of tasty fish really doesn't get much better. Although I do have all the amenities like shanty, heater, which doubles as a food heater upper, and sonar to make your trips more productive. It would take an awful lot of heat to melt through the ice, heck ive even seen guys with fires out there. Great way to get out of the house and fill the freezer. Definetly a different breed though :D

Attachments

• ice fishing.JPG
    ice fishing.JPG
    460.4 KB · Views: 166
  • ice fishing2.JPG
    ice fishing2.JPG
    402.3 KB · Views: 166
  • ice fishing3.JPG
    ice fishing3.JPG
    351.5 KB · Views: 166
I haven't been much of an icefisher but I need to get out of the house, planning to head out tomorrow to a local lake I've never fished but is supposed to have nice gills and perch. What are you guys using to get perch on the ice? I've been an avid perch guy my whole life but only in the summer.