HDS 7 lowrance

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbug

Reaction score
Well that didn't take long I came home from work today and found a nice big box sitting on my step.
I was very surprised to get my new toy A lowrance hds 7 with the Insight usa mapping built in I can't wait to get it hooked up and give the new HD broadband sounder a test run. I ordered a new ram mount and trolling motor mount for the transducer. I'll get some pictures after work Sunday and post them

now all I need is the structure scan

I think you will love it. I got mine about a week and a half ago and it is fantastic. I'm still trying to learn which settings work the best, but the screen is very bright and viewable in the sunlight. I had a Humminbird 798 but didn't like the screen near as much. I'm with you in that I can't wait for the structure scan to come out.

Tom

are you going to use a trolling motor transducer, or the transom mount?

I just changed from a transom mount (on my trolling motor) to an actual tm transducer and HOLY CRAP the difference it made

I'd like to get a bigger one... but I'm just going to hold out a little bit. There is a new update available on the Lowrance website too - you might wanna get that update if it doesn't already have the latest and greatest

I have a 332c transducer that will work on the new unit I also have the 83/200hz skimmer unit that comes with the unit. the ram mount is on order and should be here by this weekend I have a tournament on Sunday and will have it hooked up by then one way or another.
What lakes do you fish they may be in the insight USA collection. I would have loved to go to the 8 or 10 but just couldn't justify the cost.
I will be getting the structure scan when it comes out. I started the unit up and it tracked quickly to my location. this will be a great addition to the front deck

Wayne

Most of the places I fish are not big, and they are drinking water reservoirs... with the exception of 2 which are regulation pools for waters that might show up on the maps (Allatoona and Carters are the big lakes).

russ010 said:
are you going to use a trolling motor transducer, or the transom mount?

I just changed from a transom mount (on my trolling motor) to an actual tm transducer and HOLY CRAP the difference it made

I'd like to get a bigger one... but I'm just going to hold out a little bit. There is a new update available on the Lowrance website too - you might wanna get that update if it doesn't already have the latest and greatest

why is there so much difference?

I have no idea why there was a difference. I had the transom mount transducer on my trolling motor, then replaced it with the puck style. I started reading depths better, not to mention the clarity on the screen of what was underneath.

That transducer might have worked well on the transom, but it sucked on the trolling motor.

I Installed the latest update and it made a big difference... before the update the unit would have trouble picking up the bottom in shallow water. (less than 3 ft) once it found the bottom it was fine the new update corrected the problem...
I have the dual frequency transducer that is the transom mount but have a single frequency puck style as a back up.
after the first 2 months of use with the new hds unit I could not be happier. I went to pickwick lake for the ABA nationals as a non boater and took my hds down with me so a friend could use it We prefished and found some nice ledges to fish.
and again the hds unit worked great

russ010 said:
I have no idea why there was a difference. I had the transom mount transducer on my trolling motor, then replaced it with the puck style. I started reading depths better, not to mention the clarity on the screen of what was underneath.

That transducer might have worked well on the transom, but it sucked on the trolling motor.

I have been reading some threads about using the built in Minnkota universal transducer paired to a Vexilar flasher. I am debating going with this setup. Anyway, Vexilar has noticed a lot of interference from the universal transducer and they believe it is caused by motor interference from the transducer not having a good ground. Vexilar was showing on on the Vexilar branded trolling motor transducer it has a metal tab sticking out of the transducer to ground it. Perhaps something like this is happening and the transom transducer isn't shielded or grounded as well as a trolling motor transducer is. The trolling motor transducer is expected to be placed close to the electric motor so maybe it was designed to shield better. #-o

Latest posts