Heeeellllpppppp!!! old carpet glue(updated with question)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow

Reaction score
I am sure its been asked but I am in a battle with glue ,trying to scrape it with a razor blade right now and losing :? ,someone please help with a better idea and ill check back frequently ,thanks

Ah, you should have had it attached to some unprepped 6061 T6 aluminum......

Grinder and wire wheel should get it off.

If you're trying to get it off of aluminum all I can tell you is good luck. I ended up using a grinder and a sanding disc but I wouldn't suggest that unless you don't care about ending up with a very rough finish. If I had to do it again I would try using some aircraft paint stripper first. It's not designed for it but that it some baaaad stuff. I have a hard time imaging that it wouldn't at the least make a dent in that stuff. After that I would go to a grinder with a wire wheel. Good luck!

wire wheel seemed to work, might have a little residue here and there still
next question i plan on putting a piece of 3/4 green treated piece on the back bench and attaching a pedestal seat ,should I use thompsons on the wood before it gets painted?after?
more questions later :D

oh and will it be ok to have some residue as far as painting over it?

if you're just going to paint the wood, why don't you just buy some outdoor stain - I can't think of the name, but I just used it to paint my deck outside. I want to call it polyurethane paint - my deck is a dark brown and the water doesn't penetrate into the wood - it beads up.

When I did the wood under my carpet, I used what was left over from the deck to paint the wood. Only reason being I didn't want to spend the extra money for clear poly.

thanks for the plywood tip,now i gotta haul that heavy S.O.B back to menards and get a better piece,this site has me going every which way #-o but me likey the info \:D/ \:D/

Someone said the "Green stuff" has chemicals in it that reacts with aluminum. I think I read that here, makes sense to me.