Help Determining My Hull Type

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Clay

Reaction score
Hi. I’m new here. I would appreciate assistance in determining my Alumacraft F7’s hull type. Is my boat a V hull, Semi-V hull, or something else?IMG_0429.jpeg

Look at your title. It will describe hull type.
Thanks but nope. The only descriptor on the title is ACB which stands for aluminum chambered boat. I guess I’ll go with LDUBS and call it a semi-V.

Attachments

• IMG_0536.jpeg
    IMG_0536.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 0
It's a 'V' hull, never heard the word 'semi V' used to describe one myself ...

Just be aware that the deadrise on such tin hulls is low to non-existent. Some V-hulls, only have the V at the bow and the stern is flatter than ... well you know ... we'll just say it's flat, LOL! Some hulls like Smoker Craft, Star Craft and Lund carry the V-shape back a bit, maybe to 1/3rd of the length from the bow, and while not flat, there might be a soft V of 12-14 degrees at the stern (which is where deadrise is measured).

I had one 16' Star Craft with 16-degrees of deadrise to the stern, but that is still a low deadrise hull, yet she was an awesome hull for what it was, especially when coupled to the 60hp Johnson 2-stroke, turning screws for 40MPH! I think I've seen one Lund tin hull, an 18' Walleye special - a Tyee model I believe - with a deadrise of 18-degrees.

But note that is still not a true deep 'V', as that classification doesn't start until you reach 20-degrees.

Just be aware that the deadrise on such tin hulls is low to non-existent. Some V-hulls, only have the V at the bow and the stern is flatter than ... well you know ... we'll just say it's flat, LOL! Some hulls like Smoker Craft, Star Craft and Lund carry the V-shape back a bit, maybe to 1/3rd of the length from the bow, and while not flat, there might be a soft V of 12-14 degrees at the stern (which is where deadrise is measured).

I had one 16' Star Craft with 16-degrees of deadrise to the stern, but that is still a low deadrise hull, yet she was an awesome hull for what it was, especially when coupled to the 60hp Johnson 2-stroke, turning screws for 40MPH! I think I've seen one Lund tin hull, an 18' Walleye special - a Tyee model I believe - with a deadrise of 18-degrees.

But note that is still not a true deep 'V', as that classification doesn't start until you reach 20-degrees.
Thank you Dale. I have a 9.5 horsepower Evinrude on this boat. It’s plenty fast for my use. I’m new to this so I’m reading what I can find to determine if I can safely add a low deck for the front - basically some plywood on top of the two front seats - to provide a flat place for a pedestal seat without sacrificing too much stability. From what I’ve read thus far flat = stable and my boat is flat in the rear. I’m trying to figure out how stable the pointy front end will be when standing on a deck. I think I’ll take a piece of scrap plywood and put it across the two front seats and wiggle around some while standing on it before I do anything else.

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpeg
    IMG_1936.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 1

I have to look it up every time this comes up. What I read from whoever decides this kind of stuff is Semi-V = 10° to 16° deadrise. Mod-V = 16° to 19° and Deep-V = 20°+.

That is a V-hull with a somewhat "barrel" type transom, meaning it has very round corners.

That boat should ride very soft, but it may have a tendency to roll, since the bottom is so round.

Good looking boat.

Looking at the stern it is what we here in the great lakes area would call a V hull. No semi or modified as the stearn is rounded, almost flat. My 16' Sylvan is called a semi V as there is a small V at the transom and it rides very well up to around a two ft chop, higher than that it gets rough. Years back had a deep V, good ride in rough seas of three ft but not great in 1-2 ft chop. My semi rides the same in 2 ft as the deep V. With my current 16' I dont plan on going out in 3' and above, my limit is 2' waves and for that, a semi V is fine. Your flat/ rounded bottom will be a little tippy but that boat was not designed for waves over a foot, so follow common sense and you will be fine.

Looking at the stern it is what we here in the great lakes area would call a V hull. No semi or modified as the stearn is rounded, almost flat. My 16' Sylvan is called a semi V as there is a small V at the transom and it rides very well up to around a two ft chop, higher than that it gets rough. Years back had a deep V, good ride in rough seas of three ft but not great in 1-2 ft chop. My semi rides the same in 2 ft as the deep V. With my current 16' I dont plan on going out in 3' and above, my limit is 2' waves and for that, a semi V is fine. Your flat/ rounded bottom will be a little tippy but that boat was not designed for waves over a foot, so follow common sense and you will be fine.

I think you nailed it. Pic of stern tells the story.

fwiw, on small older boats, *never* count on paperwork being correct. Not every state has titles and every state is different in paperwork requirements. Every time the boat get registered anew, it has a greater chance of having information drift. And that's not even considering the attitude of any given clerk on any given day.