Help with Boat Specs -- New member New 1980 Alumacraft Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambass

Reaction score
Hi,

You all have wonderful jon boats!! Awesome!

I recently got my hands on a Jon boat and was wondering if any of you could help me with weight limits and max hp. I would like make some modifications to it and was searching for the spec online and can really find much. Just this great site!!

Its a 1980 14' Alumacraft. Any Suggestions on where I should start with my Modding? I would like to put a very nice coat of paint on it and put a deck in the back with live well and extend the front deck back a little more.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks All

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_4501draft.jpg
    IMG_4501draft.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,439
  • IMG_4503 draft.jpg
    IMG_4503 draft.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,439
  • IMG_4502draft.jpg
    IMG_4502draft.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,439
  • IMG_4504draft.jpg
    IMG_4504draft.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,439
  • IMG_4505draft.jpg
    IMG_4505draft.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 1,439
How wide is the floor?

I had a 94 Alumacraft 1236, and I'm pretty sure it was rated for 500 +/- pounds, and a 15hp motor. My buddy has an Alumacraft 1436, and it's rated for 600 +/- pounds and a 25hp motor..

I think you'd be ok with either of those, but there's no bracing in the rear of the boat. Were the benches removed some time ago? If you build up a back deck and stretch aluminum angle from side to side, you should reinforce it even more and can probably handle a 15-25hp motor just fine.

Can you take a better picture of the transom so we can see the bracing back there? That might help some of the more knowledgeable guys make a determination

Hey Thanks for your help!!

Here are more pictures. I have a 1964 12HP Sea King on it right now. I just bought the boat and motor over the weekend and I haven't had a chance to take it out on the water. I have an older fiberglass tri hull at my parents which is about 1.5 hours from me right now that has all my boating supplies. I'm waiting to get all my boating stuff from there this weekend and take it out.

Here are more pictures!

Attachments

• IMG_4508draft.jpg
    IMG_4508draft.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,413
  • IMG_4507draft.jpg
    IMG_4507draft.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,413
Brine said:
Kool looking motor. 8)

Thanks Brine!

I found that for $295. It runs like it is brand new! It's just a beast and has a lot of torque. The guy I bought it from has been repairing motors for a very long time and he ran it in a tank for me. It was kinda scary...

Tony