horse power ratings on tin boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just found this forum and already like what I see.

I just purchased a 2012 LOWE roughneck bare boat and need to know if you can get in trouble with the law if you mount an outboard on a boat that has more horsepower that the USCG rating on the tag of the boat.

I already had the 60hp merc. before I purchased the LOWE but the tag on the LOWE says 40 hp max.

I see 17-20 ft. bass boats with 250-300 hp motors a lot and cant imagine that those little boats are rated for that size engine.

Anyone know what the laws are on this?

Thanks

This topic has been discuss and debated about numerous times and people seem to be quite passionate about their opinions. Do a search and you will get every perspective you can possible imagine, but at the end of the day it’s going to be your decision to make.

I like a few more ponies when possible. I have a115HP on my 17 aluminum Jon and I haven’t been arrested yet............................. :LOL2: .

The weight on the transom should be your first concern. Good luck.

I'm running a 25 hp motor on a boat that was probably rated for 15.

You can do whatever you like. However, if/when you're caught your insurance will be voided and you will be cited. It's not a matter of if, but when. Never mind the structural/performance issues that may arise.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335567#p335567 said:
kfa4303 » Today, 11:25[/url]"]You can do whatever you like. However, if/when you're caught your insurance will be voided and you will be cited. It's not a matter of if, but when. Never mind the structural/performance issues that may arise.

I knew this was coming…………………………………………………………. :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

As I recall the issue in question was not if you can insure a boat that is powered above the manufactures max HP rating. The OP question was “is it illegal”. That’s going to vary from state to state and from local municipalities. I’ve been boating for the better part of 40 years and I’ve had numerous boats that were powered above the manufactures max HP rating and not only have I never been arrested :LOL2:

I’ve never been ticketed, warned, or even questioned regarding HP, and I personally don’t know anyone who has. I was however ticketed once for a flair that was out of date. So you can see that even were it might be “illegal” it’s not something that I’ve found they care to enforce. If you do want to insure your 16ft Jon boat there are insurance companies that will insure you if you have more HP than the hull is rated for.

You’re going to pay a little higher premium but to say you can’t get insured is incorrect. You can get anything insured. I think sometimes people lose sight of the fact that a given HP rating is the max that motor will put out. Good to have but doesn’t mean you have to use it but there’s nothing like a few extra ponies when you need them.

I believe an under powered hull is more likely going to get you in trouble if you find yourself in a compromised position. I won’t suggest or advocate anyone to do something that might be “illegal” but I’ve hade and currently have boats that have are powered above the manufactures max HP rating and I don’t think twice about it. Some just change their motor decals…………………………………………… :popcorn:

I am going to stick my 60hp on my 40hp rated boat simply because of economics.

As far as insurance, everyone knows that they sure like it when the premiums come in but when it comes time to pay on a claim there is always a reason or some small print somewhere why they dont have to pay.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335573#p335573 said:
firefly » 3 minutes ago[/url]"]I am going to stick my 60hp on my 40hp rated boat simply because of economics.

As far as insurance, everyone knows that they sure like it when the premiums come in but when it comes time to pay on a claim there is always a reason or some small print somewhere why they dont have to pay.

Just be carful and be safe.

Latest posts