Hull design.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catsmith

Reaction score
I am learning a new boat. I've never had this style hull before and it handles different that the jon boats I'm used to.

The bottom back half is smooth with only the center keel. The front is more vee than I've ever had.

The 15hp gets about 22mph with two grown ups and gear.

The problem is, at top speed turning is more drifting than turning. Scarry for sure. It feels like we are literally on top of the water.

What should I expect from this kind of hull?

Attachments

• 20210307_163749.jpg
    20210307_163749.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 159
  • 20210213_161633.jpg
    20210213_161633.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 159
  • 20210304_191116.jpg
    20210304_191116.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 159
Boats without chines tend to slide in curves (turns). You'll want to give yourself plenty of room with it until you figure out how it handles in different situations.

Man that is a flat bottom.

With that rib in the front and the flat back what you are experiencing is normal.

Where you need to be cautious is turning where you will be meeting waves into the side of the boat, which really much from any other boat.

The issue with that sharp of a chine (hard chine) is that it could hook and toss you out of the boat.

You could add a foil to help tracking in turns, plus planing and stability. Best one for that OB (that won't rob you of RPMs, if any) would be the SE Sport 200.

One way to be safe is to slow down just enough to let the boat dig into the water when you start the turn.

I'm sure you will get used to it, just be careful to issue warning when someone else borrows your boat.

My friends and I all had boats like this as kids, we loved the slide across the water, it was cool (as a kid). You can either add chines or learn how to better handle the boat.

Slow down prior to a turn, not to drop off plain but just so you don't slide so much, also knowing full well you're going to slide, start your turn prematurely, it's kind of living by the seat of your pants but you have an internal clock and should know how much slip you can anticipate, start that turn a little earlier and negate the slip towards the end of the turn itself.

I still love slipping around turns, see my screen name and understand why.

This may not sound smart but if you rivet or weld a 1/4 thick piece of aluminum about 8" -2' long with it sticking down an 1" or so below the hull, it won't effect WOT speed much at all, but will act as a hold on the water in a turn. Jet skis have them except they make them from plastic or something, you can see photos with them mounted at the rear both port and starboard sides.

I think some are confusing chine with strakes. Chine type is an expression of how sharp the transition from bottom to side is. That boat has a wicked hard chine. This will give it good initial stability which is great for moving around in fishing. Also it will plane easily and push spray away better than a soft chine will. Although it has no additional strakes, it has a good keel strake. That should keep it controled if it's in the water. Perhaps trim it down a hair or put a bit of weight in the bow. It is what it is. Enjoy your boat, play with weight distribution, learn how it handles. As mentioned, it may hook hard if pushed too hard.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts