Is this ubolt too big for the axel?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it looks OK. Is there a reason you are concerned?
I bought a boat, trailer, and motor three years ago. I restored the trailer during the first year. I replaced the springs, hangers, and ubolts at that time. I didn't pay too much attention to the original ubolts, nor the new ones I purchased and installed at that time. I was anxious to start the boat restore (a two summer project now), and kind of forgot about the trailer. The boat is getting closer and my hope is to have it in the water later this year. I was looking closely at the trailer this week and just thought the ubolts didn't look right. I haven't towed the trailer yet. I plan on getting it inspected next month, and thought it was wise to ask about the ubolts to see if I should replace them with the correct size before the inspection.

Thanks

Is the perch centered on the spring bolt? The worry here is that there's no way to keep the axle from sliding fore/aft on the spring, unless there's a spring centering bolt in place.
Yes, the U-bolts are too wide for the axle. They should be just wide enought to slip over the axle tube and go through the spring plate(s).

Roger

Is the perch centered on the spring bolt? The worry here is that there's no way to keep the axle from sliding fore/aft on the spring, unless there's a spring centering bolt in place.
Yes, the U-bolts are too wide for the axle. They should be just wide enought to slip over the axle tube and go through the spring plate(s).

Roger
Yes, there is a center bolt on the spring, but I think I may replace the ubolts with the proper size anyway. It will just ease my mind. I've got so much into this restore now, what's a few more dollars. That seems to justify all my purchases these last few weeks.

Yes, there is a center bolt on the spring, but I think I may replace the ubolts with the proper size anyway. It will just ease my mind. I've got so much into this restore now, what's a few more dollars. That seems to justify all my purchases these last few weeks.
I don't think it has been said but you will have to replace the bottom plates and nuts, washers as well.

I don't think it has been said but you will have to replace the bottom plates and nuts, washers as well.
Crap! I neglected to even think about those.

Shawn, was this a mod that you did, or did you get the trailer this way?

Roger

Crap! I neglected to even think about those.

Shawn, was this a mod that you did, or did you get the trailer this way?

Roger
Hi Roger. I put these ubolts on myself. The trailer required a lot of work and I was at the store to buy new springs and grabbed a random pair of ubolt kits at that time. I really didn't pay attention to the axle diameter and just installed the ubolts without thinking they were too big. I'm looking at the trailer again as I hope to move the boat onto it this summer and the ubolts caught my eye. I figured it was worth asking if they would work, but made the decision to buy two new kits now. I'll be replacing the ubolts, plates, and all nuts and bolts. Thanks!

Ok....fair enough. I was going to suggest to let it ride for the resdt of the year, and make that a winter project. You could swap them out after the season with a floor jack and jack stand, but you're fixing it right before something happens.

Roger

You’re probably right but, I know it would drive me crazy.

I think the same way. I also agree he could get away with the current set up, but I would do what the OP is doing and replace them with the proper sized hardware. Just the way I'm wired I guess. Lol.

I think the same way. I also agree he could get away with the current set up, but I would do what the OP is doing and replace them with the proper sized hardware. Just the way I'm wired I guess. Lol.
And I am the same way, however, the poster wanted to know if it was necessary and the answer to that is no, it is not. That is not an unsafe situation, believe me I have saw far worse !!

Latest posts