Jay415's Alumacraft MV1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I think I know what I'll be adding to my trailer in the next couple of weeks :LOL2: .

I like these 1648 Alumacrafts being modafied here.I has one myself but mine is a square nose jon

took the boat out today for a trial This FF is awesome!! Here a bait ball I found!
S00239.png

Well after the trial, I decided I could def use a little more weight in the stern. I really want to keep a lower deck because when I take my 5 year old with me. But then I thought why can't I have the best of both (upper and lower deck) I was thinking of decking from the front of the rear bench seat to the transom and add a pedestal mount for the seat so it can be used lower deck or upper deck like a bass boat. It would add about 50lbs to the stern to help with weight balance. The upper deck area would be 36" x 64" Do you think that's enough? I photoshopped a picture so you see what I mean. Of course I would have vents and access panels. Also the deck would be below the motor mounts, this was just a quick photoshop mockup. What do you guys think? Comfortable to fish from?
RearDeckidea1.jpg

RearDeckidea.jpg

EDIT: I originally said 32"x64" its really 36"x64" I fixed the pics too

The deck wouldn't need to be below the motor mounts (trolling motor or outboard), you could just notch out around the mounts.
I'm doing the same on mine (same size) using angle AL support on the transom to support the back of the deck (hatches).
I'm utilizing a small portion of the seat (1 1/2") for the forward support for the back hatches where the hinges will be.

Is that side imaging? I have yet to figure out how to read that screen...I just don't get it....it's why I didn't get Si, only di.

It will be below the mounts just because of the height of the bench. Not on purpose. What do you think about the deck area? Is that what you meant when you said your doing the same? Same size area? Do you think that's enough room?

Yes it's side imaging and it's not hard to read once you get the hang of it. The screen draws fom top to bottom rather than right to left. The water column is the black and the bottom contour is the edge that touches the black. the rest is almost like a birds eye view of the contour left and right of the boat.
Here is a great video from hummingbird that explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNucS1bniIw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I guess it just depends. You are using yours as a casting deck so you need more room. I won't be using mine for that, mine is more for laying tackle boxes on without them falling off the bench all the **** time...lol and a spot for the dog to sit while duck hunting. I also like the standard way of operating the motor (on the bench with feet on the floor, not elevated, so that's another consideration if considering decking all the way to the middle seat.

Unless you move around alot I would think it would be fine size wise. I don't walk around much when I fish. With a seat there I just sit and cast.

If've thought of doing similar things in my boat and make it semi removable in case I decide I want to change

That back deck looks great. If you do it, I'd be sure to center your seat like you have it in the mock. I set mine slightly off-centered to make it a little more comfortable while steering but by doing that I also threw the balance off so the boat leans significantly to that side. There's no way I'd dare put a pedestal on it either (because of the off-balance issue). I wish I had centered mine. Now I don't hardly even use the seat anymore, I just sit on a cushion centered on the rear deack. Live and learn I guess :D . Feel free to check out my rear deck, the build is in my signature area. It's not perfect but it's something to look at. Good luck with the rest of your build, it's looking great.

Jay

I like the backdeck, it will look great when finished. About the seat base, I'd keep one centered as mentioned, I'd also keep one offset for driving. If you'd like to keep a closer eye on your 5 year old when moving aling at a good clip, put another base off to the other side so two people can sit side by side in the back. Love the boat.

Really nice project. Seeing this is definitely swaying me to go new instead of used. It'll cost more, but I'd have exactly what I want, which is very similar to this. I've even had my eye on that same graph for it but it'll probably have to wait til next season. I also like the plan for the back deck, I'd go with it if it were me.

My next challenge is figuring out how to hinge access panel over the batteries because of the triangle supports at the top of the transom where I mounted my GPS puck.

Ictalurus said:
Jay

I like the backdeck, it will look great when finished. About the seat base, I'd keep one centered as mentioned, I'd also keep one offset for driving. If you'd like to keep a closer eye on your 5 year old when moving aling at a good clip, put another base off to the other side so two people can sit side by side in the back. Love the boat.

That's a GREAT idea! I like it a lot!

Gotta Love photoshop!!! :lol

RearDeckidea2.jpg

RearDeckidea3.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

looks great =D> im curious about your fishfinder, was it affordable? the ones ive seen were outragous. not ready to buy one yet but i think those side imaging ff are neat.

Latest posts