Jay415's Alumacraft MV1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wlewis53 said:
This may sound stupid, but when you were carpeting the front deck did you do that after the plywood was installed onthe boat and if so was it difficult to get the carpet down around the edges. Love what you've done and hope to steal some of your ideas. Thanksd

Thanks! Not a stupid question. I carpeted first then screwed through the carpet. Screws just about disappear.
IMG_2521.jpg

Here is my back deck so far, Still have a little more to do, but I'm loving it so far! I'm so glad I decided to do this!

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

I see you went with a single hatch in the back. looking good.

<<edit>>> oh I see you raised it up 1 1/2". are you putting storage between the alum seat and the new deck? might be room for those plano tackle boxes?

I'm still doing 2 hatches I just haven't cut it yet. I still have some more to do. I need a few more supports and i want to trim up the ledge on the transom under the motor. (where the notch is) I raised it up so I could mount the pedestal base without drilling a hole in the aluminum and also to be above the batteries which are about even with the seat. I didn't think of storage between seat and deck. But it wouldn't really benefit me anyway. I'll always be fishing from the bow. It's a good idea though!

KevinWI said:
Jay415 said:
crabtree said:
Did you pre-drill your holes since those aren't self tapping?
tedious predrilling every 2".....about 64 screws

You drilled 64 holes just for the front deck? :eek: Every 2"? around the perimeter or ?? Your deck is elevated on 2x's so I assumed you just secured the deck to the 2X's?
:LOL2: oh no I was talking about the piano hinge. :LOL22:

I predrilled everything but the deck top

KevinWI said:
I didn't realize you installed your piano hinges already. Thought you were going to wait until after carpeting..
final installation will be after carpeting but I wanted to predrill and get everything just right...I laid out 2 layers of carpet for spacing and installed the hinge, then I'm gonna remove it for waterproofing and carpeting...then once I locate one of the predrilled holes through the carpet the rest should line up and fall right in place.

Jay415 said:
KevinWI said:
I didn't realize you installed your piano hinges already. Thought you were going to wait until after carpeting..
final installation will be after carpeting but I wanted to predrill and get everything just right...I laid out 2 layers of carpet for spacing and installed the hinge, then I'm gonna remove it for waterproofing and carpeting...then once I locate one of the predrilled holes through the carpet the rest should line up and fall right in place.
sounds like a plan! getting that first one will be tricky. 64? wow...I better buy more screws! lol. SS screws aren't cheap either!

I'm using 1 1/4" SS deck screws from ace hardware. About $25 for a 1lb box. I posted pics of them in post #54

Jay, I have another question for you if you don't mind. Anyone else who can answer this can chime in too. Your deck sheeting appears to be two pieces, but it looks like it was carpeted with one continuous piece of carpet. How did you manage that? I assume the framing was already screwed down and separate from the plywood when you applied the carpet. I can't imagine manipulating a piece of jointed plywood that large without messing up the carpet job, but maybe I'm just over-thinking it.

Edit: I seen that you joined the two halves with scraps of wood, did this make it strong enough to move around without fear of it coming undone?

crabtree said:
...Edit: I seen that you joined the two halves with scraps of wood, did this make it strong enough to move around without fear of it coming undone?
That's exactly what I did and had no issues.
I haven't carpet the lower front deck yet, but that is 2 pieces as well. As of now my plans are to secure the back joint with blue painters tape to hold the boards together and then carpet the front. Once the carpet is on and glue is dry, the carpet should act like a hinge allowing me to fit the boards to the hull's contour until secured to the boat. (obviously board were cut to the contour first and as long as top edges are touching each other it'll fit as I intended it to)

Latest posts