JB's 17' Polar Kraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyb_38401

Reaction score
This is my first post, but I have spent LOTS of time on this site! It seems that someone, somewhere has already encountered just about every obstacle that one can have and has found a solution using this site. Pretty AWESOME! I will be "borrowing" many of your ideas along with a few of my own for my build. So here it is: 1992 17' Polar Kraft on a 2004 Tracker Trailstar aluminum trailer (No Motors). Picked it up for $800. She leaks a little and needs a LOT of TLC, but I think I'm up for the challenge. My plan is for a complete gut and rebuild with similar layout. Stay tuned...

DSC02362.jpg

DSC02361.jpg

DSC02364.jpg

DSC02365.jpg

DSC02358.jpg

Awesome boat Dude! Looks like a good deal for $800. Id kill for a 17 footer. I have a 14ft Polarkraft and it's a beast, they're very stout boats...

Progress is slow, but coming along. I wish I had a dollar for all the different kinds of hardware holding this thing together. My vice grips were quite busy backing out rusted non-stainless screws after the heads broke off with the cordless drill. I have also spent MANY quality hours with my angle grinder and orbital sander. Like all good projects, several issues were uncovered after I stripped everything off. More leaking rivets, a mess of holes where old transducers had been mounted on the transom, and I have realized that this boat is freaking HUGE. HAHA. I also attempted to fix a hairline crack on the floor of the livewell with some brazing rods and made a huge mess, so it's pretty much trash now. I'll leave the welding and such to the experts. Since these pictures were taken, the leaking rivets have been replaced with new ones thanks to my father for making a sweet bucking bar and battleship grey steelflex has been applied to the bottom and up about 8" on the sides and transom. I'm having trouble deciding how to paint the rest. What color? What kind of paint? etc... I'm sooo ready to start doing the fun stuff like framing and decking, but I want to make sure the fundamentals are covered first. I'm restricted to weekends only for the most part, so I'll update when I can. My knowledge and tool collection has increased a lot already. This site is addictive to say the least.

Florida2011005.jpg

Florida2011007.jpg

Florida2011008.jpg

Florida2011013.jpg

Florida2011015.jpg

Florida2011016.jpg

I have failed when it comes to taking progress pictures like I wanted to, but here's where I am. The boat is patched, the bottom is covered in steelflex, and the exterior is painted. I was pleasantly surprised how easy the steelflex was. Maybe it was all the research reading in the "Everything Steelflex" topic. I ended up using navy Rustoleum topside paint and applied it with foam rollers and tipped with a standard brush. I have a table full of goodies including a livewell pump, bilge pump, fuse panel, switches, lights and sockets, seats, gauges, 2 batteries with plastic boxes, a ton of tinned wire, and probably more I'm forgetting. I REALLY want to use aluminum to deck with, but it's probably not going to happen unless I find a deal. I hope I get to put some quality hours in soon to get this thing ready for the water, but we've added another future fishing partner recently and time is hard to come by.

ParkerBoy165.jpg

ParkerBoy166.jpg

ParkerBoy167.jpg

ParkerBoy168.jpg

ParkerBoy169.jpg

ParkerBoy170.jpg

ParkerBoy171.jpg

My daughter had to have the pink one...
ParkerBoy174.jpg

ParkerBoy173.jpg

And finally... My excuses for this project taking so long ;)
ParkerBoy138-1.jpg

moberg12 said:
Where'd you get the pool noodles? I plan on using them in my build!!

Thanks

I got them at a Dollar General store. I actually left my number to call me when they came in for the year so I could get a full box. A buck a piece isn't bad for closed cell foam.

jonnyb_38401 said:
moberg12 said:
Where'd you get the pool noodles? I plan on using them in my build!!

Thanks

I got them at a Dollar General store. I actually left my number to call me when they came in for the year so I could get a full box. A buck a piece isn't bad for closed cell foam.

Thanks!! I'll swing by my local stores and see if I can score the same deal.

Wait a minute, So you're going cut up the pool noodles and put them in your floor and where ever else space is not being used, that you can fill up with pool noodles?

Kochy said:
Wait a minute, So you're going cut up the pool noodles and put them in your floor and where ever else space is not being used, that you can fill up with pool noodles?

I'd like to take credit for that idea, but many people have used them on this site. To answer your question, yes! They are made of closed cell foam that won't become water logged if they get wet, which makes them perfect for safety flotation foam and sound dampening for your boat

Kochy said:
Dang I'm going to use them!!!! You said at Dollar Generals, they are a dollar a piece?

Indeed they are. They have the really thick fat noodles for $3 a piece as well. Those are great for catfish noodling here in the South :)

So you'd stick one of them fat noodles in the hole of a log or something and the catfish would bite it, and you'd just pull him out?

Kochy said:
So you'd stick one of them fat noodles in the hole of a log or something and the catfish would bite it, and you'd just pull him out?

HAHA! If it were only that easy... Here's a link that explains "jugging" with pool noodles.

https://catfishgumbo.blogspot.com/2008/05/pool-noodle-catfishing.html