jon boat overhaul

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouachita said:
Thanks everyone.
flounderhead59 said:
Box looks good... 'cept it's crooked :lol:
That comment actually made me go out into the garage this morning and confirm it is not crooked. I'm a little obsessive. :lol:

Maybe it's just me that's sort of out of whack.

(shut up Dave)

that looks absolutely fantastic!!

how did you keep the strongties from having contact with aluminum?
did you like them with chunks of old inner tube or something?

im scratching my head trying to figure this one out before i start mine

russo said:
how did you keep the strongties from having contact with aluminum?
did you like them with chunks of old inner tube or something?

im scratching my head trying to figure this one out before i start mine

My benches had been previously carpeted. I left that on so the rubber backing insulated the aluminum. The only other places I used strongties were to the floor(wood) and two spots on the transom and used nylon washers for those.

I'm new to this board and was reading up on this mod. Can you please inform me on why you didnt want the brackets in contact with the aluminum? Is this for interference? Thanks for the help.

flipgreer said:
I'm new to this board and was reading up on this mod. Can you please inform me on why you didnt want the brackets in contact with the aluminum? Is this for interference? Thanks for the help.
Aluminum does not get along with other types of metal. Having them in direct contact will cause corrosion. Especially galvanized which is what the strongties are contructed with. Stainless steel works the best with aluminum which is why you read other mods and they all talk about using aluminum screws and fasteners.

so would separating the metals with non-metallic washers be enough, or should i/we use something like a flap of thin rubber/polyurethane or something? (like an old inner tube or something)

russo said:
so would separating the metals with non-metallic washers be enough, or should i/we use something like a flap of thin rubber/polyurethane or something? (like an old inner tube or something)
i would think the washers would be sufficient but the flap of rubber might be even better. Just make sure your screws are stainless steel.

fantastic, thank you VERY much for the insight
(and sorry for the thread hijack!)

Ouachita said:
Here are pictures of the steel-flex

The boat is stripped to bare aluminum (as close as I could get), sanded with 60 grit sandpaper to rough up the surface and wiped with acetone.

I only mixed up a quart at a time to put on the boat. The stuff will set up in 20-30 minutes in the tub after mixed so I didn't want to have to rush. I would just pour out a line on the boat and spread it with a 4" roller. I was working by myself so I don't have any exciting action shots.

The color ended up considerably darker than I thought it would. I guess my boat is not quite as olive drab as I thought. The closeups don't do it justice but it is like the bottom of the boat is heat shrinked.

WOW!! the white part looks like fiberglass!! does it get hard, or does this stuff get rubbery??

Ouachita said:
Thanks everyone.
flounderhead59 said:
Box looks good... 'cept it's crooked :lol:
That comment actually made me go out into the garage this morning and confirm it is not crooked. I'm a little obsessive. :lol:

Okay, how's this... the nuts on the rubber boots aren't even... :lol: :lol: it looks fine

FishingBuds said:
are you done yet? The water's waiting :lol:

Serious great job =D>
Thanks. I have had it out a few times for test runs but I've run into motor issues that have me in dry dock for the moment. I have installed a new fuel pump kit, replace the impeller, had the prop hub replaced and am about to replace the thermostat when my parts get in. Hopefully I can get it done this weekend or next. The boat itself is almost 100% aside from mounting back anchor cleats and putting in rod holders.

Have you had that thing in salt water? I'm thinking that stuff ok in the harsh environments being it's used on airboats... >? I'd like to coat the bottom of mine with something...
~LCA.

LeftCoastAngler said:
Have you had that thing in salt water? I'm thinking that stuff ok in the harsh environments being it's used on airboats... >? I'd like to coat the bottom of mine with something...
~LCA.
I only use it in freshwater and so far I am very pleased with the coating. One of the cheapest things I did in the whole redo also.

I just found your post... I have a few ideas now to incorporate into my new boat.. whenever I get it. I don't know what you are doing on the carpeted sides, but from the pics it looks bare. have you thought about putting that bungee cord netting (like you can get in trunks) - it can hold small things.

russ010 said:
I just found your post... I have a few ideas now to incorporate into my new boat.. whenever I get it. I don't know what you are doing on the carpeted sides, but from the pics it looks bare. have you thought about putting that bungee cord netting (like you can get in trunks) - it can hold small things.
I need to take some pictures of my completed boat to finish off this thread. I have been doing small stuff to the boat over the winter. I got it to a fish-able point and lived with the unfinished details. The side boards I put in were to finish off the sides, cover exposed wiring and to fill the small gap between the floor boards and the sides to keep stuff from falling under there. The cargo netting is a great idea. I will have to keep my eyes open for something that will fit that space.

It looks great !!

What did you use to screw the seat pedestal to the plywood? did you screwed it down through the plywood into the underneath wood frame ribs?

pescatore said:
It looks great !!

What did you use to screw the seat pedestal to the plywood? did you screwed it down through the plywood into the underneath wood frame ribs?
Thanks. I have really enjoyed the boat since I did the build on it. I used 2-1/2"(I think) stainless screws that went directly into the framing. The framing was setup so that the pedestal bases had all six screws going into them. They are rock solid.