Kicker Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97Aero

Reaction score
Anyone recommend a minimum HP kicker motor for my Jet Jon? I have a G3 1860 CCJ and want to do some trolling on the lakes around here. Motor is a 90/65 Yamaha. Going to mount it on a kicker bracket on the transom. I have access to a 4.4 HP but am think that may not be enough. Any suggestions?

I had a 5 hp Johnson on my 1648MV as the main motor while we were rebuilding the current 50/35 that resides on my boat now. It was PAINFULLY slow on the river with 2 guys and fishing gear. Like a walking pace at best going up river. My boat is pretty light as well. Probably would have been fine for trolling on a calm lake, although I can't say for sure since it was only run in the river. Can you just clamp the 4.4hp to your transom temporarily to give it a test run?

Years ago I had a Lowe 1760 that I ran a 4 Hp Yamaha on as a kicker. It worked fine for lake trolling and to get out of ice during duck season and off sand bars on the Bay. It did struggle on the river against the current.

I now occasionally use an 8 Hp on my G3 1966. It moves it quite well.

I have a 4.5hp Merc on my 17' StarCraft SFM and it works fine for trolling on a lake.
Might have to give it a little more throttle than a bigger motor, but it works.
If I wanted to replace that motor though, it would definitely be with a 9.9.