Lets talk Framing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamonddave

Reaction score
What do you prefer wood, aluminum, or something else. I personally just purchased a 1982 lund Mr Pike 16. looking for some ideas on doing a complete rebuild. Also like to see some pics of things you guys and girls have done.

Attachments

• eb8898adbbc143c695ce96735fee0d59.jpg
    eb8898adbbc143c695ce96735fee0d59.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 689
Not sure why this is in the engine section, but I used a mix of 1x1x1/8" and 1.5x1.5x1/8" on mine.

The heavier angle went around the seat mounting areas.

Some will laff at my work, but I used sections of an old storm door for my deck rails. They are plenty stout & were free.

I also used all aluminum. IF you can find a salvage yard that buys metal scrap and will let you scrounge around, and use a little imagination like CedarRiver , you can save a bunch of money, for instance, by nicking two edges of square tube aluminum with a table saw you will get 2 nice aluminum angles.
Fortunately I have a source for industrial salvage also, he had a lot of aluminum sheet at a reasonable price, ask around if there is something like that near you.
I used mainly aluminum rivets also, but if it was something I might need to remove for access I used SS screws with nylock's

Aluminum is the way to go, but be prepared for an expensive build.. tinyboatnation has alot of videos on YouTube.
I think in one of his videos he stated a build cost around $3000.. but it was a fully outfitted boat once he was done,and would rival anything you could buy from factory.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

GYPSY400 said:
Aluminum is the way to go, but be prepared for an expensive build.. tinyboatnation has alot of videos on YouTube.
I think in one of his videos he stated a build cost around $3000.. but it was a fully outfitted boat once he was done,and would rival anything you could buy from factory.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Checked out a lot of his videos he does make some pretty impressive builds. Definitely on the pricey side. I agree aluminum is the way to go. Plan to check some of my local vendors and see if pricing is comparable

I bought an older boat to make into a low budget fishing platform. It had a two level deck over the front seats up to the bow. The front part was level with the gunwhales and unbalanced the boat when standing on it. I ripped the decking off and redid the framing using the old wood to make one level even with the seats. Its all 2x framing using joist hangers to hold the framing between the seats. The framing in the bow area is cut to rest on the hull itself and isnt screwed down. Its not the fanciest setup or pretty but its solid, strong and cheap except for the new $70 sheet of plywood. I will see if ai can get pics later today. The deck isnt on because Im trying to figure out if I want change my layout for the storage hatch. Just remember this a very low budget project.

14altra said:
I bought an older boat to make into a low budget fishing platform. It had a two level deck over the front seats up to the bow. The front part was level with the gunwhales and unbalanced the boat when standing on it. I ripped the decking off and redid the framing using the old wood to make one level even with the seats. Its all 2x framing using joist hangers to hold the framing between the seats. The framing in the bow area is cut to rest on the hull itself and isnt screwed down. Its not the fanciest setup or pretty but its solid, strong and cheap except for the new $70 sheet of plywood. I will see if ai can get pics later today. The deck isnt on because Im trying to figure out if I want change my layout for the storage hatch. Just remember this a very low budget project.

would definitely like to see some pics

Lets see if this works. Remember this is a very small budget build. I reused the framing from the original owner. The bottom pic rotated. You can see the cut down joist hangers. They are fastened to the seats using 3/16" sheet metal screws. The front framing is going to be modified by removing the center bar so I can make a small hatch for the anchor. The center section is going to have the deck cut out. Either so it can be flipped back upon the rear seat. It will have a cushion on the underside so someone can sit there normally while underway. Or It will have a flush seat pedestal mount and will flip forward again so someone can sit on the bench under way. It will also be used as a storage area with the trolling batts right behind the front bench and storage to the sides. The cross bar may be moved depending on which way I go. I got the deck cut and in place (not screwed down) and it is very solid. So far with boat, trailer, plywood(new), carpet, glue, motor, and tank I'm still under a grand. If I was going to spend the money to go all aluminum framing and get fancy Id just find another used 18' rolled hull fiberglass center console.

Latest posts