Marine Tech training, I think I am going back to school

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yamaha is fun, my instructor told me and my lab partner to "slow the hell down" because we are so far ahead of the class.

It helps tremendously to enjoy what you are doing. It sounds like you are enjoying it. Glad to hear you are ahead of your class. That means you get first pick of any job offers that the school receives for a technician. Hooray!

Bufford,
Good to hear things are going well. I am anxiously watching for your success. The nearer I get to retirement the more I know I will need a part time job and I've been thinking a lot of either marine or small engine. So long as I never have to crawl under it, I wouldn't mind doing either. Good luck on your last 12 weeks. Glad you checked in.

bobberboy said:
Bufford,
Good to hear things are going well. I am anxiously watching for your success. The nearer I get to retirement the more I know I will need a part time job and I've been thinking a lot of either marine or small engine. So long as I never have to crawl under it, I wouldn't mind doing either. Good luck on your last 12 weeks. Glad you checked in.
When I started I had no idea how a 2 stroke worked, I just knew you had to oil the fuel, now I would tear down any two stroke, lawn mower, outboard or weedeater and not stress it. I have learned a lot...hell I didn't know how to turn on the meter they had me buy...yes I know, sad really.

Bufford

Congrats bufford =D>

You've got me curious though....What was the problem you identified in 15 minutes that your instructor thought would take 2 hours?

Brine said:
Congrats bufford =D>

You've got me curious though....What was the problem you identified in 15 minutes that your instructor thought would take 2 hours?

He took the pickup tube out of the fuel tank. The external fuel/water separator had fuel it in, the engine fuel filter had fuel in it and he figured it would make us bang our heads a while. My partner turned the key, told me it wouldn't crank when I walked up and I grabbed the primer ball. It just squeezed over and over and over. I just traced it back.

The hardest one was yesterday we had a 250 Yamaha VMAX HPDI that was running on two cylinders. It sounded like a freight train #-o and those things already drop 2 when they idle. Ended up it was the shift interrupt switch that knocks out 2 more when you pop it into gear to ease the stress on the lower unit. Took a little while to isolate.

I was asked about an update on school...so here it goes.

I am in week 7 of my countdown
SmileDance.gif
and it feels good!

I am my 3rd week of MercTech1 and doing good on tests and labs. This is one of the harder classes, Mercury has a very high standard for their techs and it is a long, hard path to gaining Master Tech status with Mercury. When I graduate I will be coming out of school at entry level MercTech, which means any dealer who hires me won't have to send me to school for that saving them several thousand dollars. I also completed my Yamaha 5star certification, which gives me the same leg up at a Yamaha dealer.

I have already talked with 2 dealers and one marina, all in the Upstate SC area near Clemson, that asked for my resume and school records saying they are interested in hiring me as I get closer to graduation. I have been trying to pick up tools to make sure I can hit it running too...boy is that expensive! I do get 50% off all Snap-On tools while there though, although they are still more expensive than other brands even at that discount.

When I finish this class we go to MercTech2 which is primairly MerCruiser product. 3 weeks there then into my final 3 weeks of a course called Capstone, which is run like a shop.

After that...I am going to sleep for a week.
Bufford

fender66 said:
Awesome job.....Your TinBoat family is very proud of you.

Thanks, I tell everyone about the great group of guys/gals on here...everyone is so helpful and friendly. I look forward to crossing paths with some of you in person one day.

Bufford

Thats great man, glad you stuck it out, when you originaly posted the fact that you wanted to get into it, I though there would be plenty of work where you currently live, work on boat motors always takes forever. Good luck to you for Graduation.

bobberboy said:
Bufford,
Thanks for the update and good luck with the future. Got any fishing trips planned for your post-grad time?

I told my wife I plan to sleep for a week when I graduate LOL...but if all goes as planned we will be up and moving pretty quickly after that, so as of today I have 30 nights of class left. Tick, Tock....Tick, Tock

Froggy said:
Thats great man, glad you stuck it out, when you originaly posted the fact that you wanted to get into it, I though there would be plenty of work where you currently live, work on boat motors always takes forever. Good luck to you for Graduation.

There is work but so many grads here stay and immediately try to go mobile, they are offering work for $30.00 an hour, which is about 1/3 of rate here so they are just trying to under cut each other and not doing real good work from what I hear. I want to settle in somewhere I can work for a long run, get my shop time in so I get proficient then see about maybe going mobile if I am still interested. I might just stay put if I find a good job to settle into.

Bufford

Bufford,

With all this training under your belt, can you tell us the one or two things that you think we should avoid, or maybe take it the other way and what advice could you offer us to stay up and running.

Just picking your brain a bit.

Congrats again!

fender66 said:
Bufford,

With all this training under your belt, can you tell us the one or two things that you think we should avoid, or maybe take it the other way and what advice could you offer us to stay up and running.

Just picking your brain a bit.

Congrats again!

You know, I like to prowl through the motor questions on the forum a good bit, and when I see something that I may have a lead on I put in my 2.5 cents, but in many instances the direction I would point someone has already been pointed out by other members with more years in this than me. We have quite the brain trust on this site, and I promise to add in wherever I can to hilp.

Preventive maintenance would by my biggest recommendation. Keep up with your ourboards and you can make a 20 year engine out of what many peope get 5 from, it is just that simple. Waterpumps, clean fuel, filters, lower unit checks to verify seals are good. Just make sure to follow the recommendations of the manufacturer on when and what needs to be done on yearly check-ups, that is a big one. Most of it the average joe can do without any problems at home in the driveway.

I'm here to help in any way I can.
Bufford