Marine vinyl - costs, installation quirks, costs, etc. ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugpac said:
Here is a question for those that have done it. If you were to vinyl a flat surface, say a hatch lid, without folding any edges, and running a razor knife tight to the edge to trim. What do you think the outcome would be, Good, bad or ugly? I'm giving vinyl some serious thought, But I do not want to wrap.

It might look ok, if you can trim a very straight line. You want to cut your piece to size using a straight edge and then install it instead.

You'll definitly need to use the contact cement for this application.

I think that it would look ok, your going to have interesting details around the edges of your covers as the corners of the aluminum will show. My main concern would be how it will hold up in a year or two. I think one of the big benefits of wrapping the edges is that it doesn't leave any corners or edges to peel. I don't know of any adhesive that will prevent corners from peeling if they are not protected.

I actually had a few un-wrapped edges next to the cover hinges. I didn't actually use the spray adhesive there, I ended up putting down a bead of 5200 and pressing the vinyl into it. I like the result so far, with no issues of anything coming up. However, the hinge sits a bit higher than the edge of the vinyl, so it is slightly protected.

If you try it, let us know how it works out.

jigngrub said:
Bugpac said:
Here is a question for those that have done it. If you were to vinyl a flat surface, say a hatch lid, without folding any edges, and running a razor knife tight to the edge to trim. What do you think the outcome would be, Good, bad or ugly? I'm giving vinyl some serious thought, But I do not want to wrap.

It might look ok, if you can trim a very straight line. You want to cut your piece to size using a straight edge and then install it instead.

Why the contact cement? Is it bullet proof, vs the 89.00 glue they sell with the vinyl? I actually like the mari deck much more than the nautolex, the nautolex looks to much like carpet.

https://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=MariDeck-Vinyl-Floor-Covering-6-Wide&i=76084&aID=601E3&merchID=4006&s_kwcid=adwords_marideck_vinyl_flooring

Bugpac said:
jigngrub said:
Bugpac said:

Why the contact cement? Is it bullet proof, vs the 89.00 glue they sell with the vinyl? I actually like the mari deck much more than the nautolex, the nautolex looks to much like carpet.

https://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=MariDeck-Vinyl-Floor-Covering-6-Wide&i=76084&aID=601E3&merchID=4006&s_kwcid=adwords_marideck_vinyl_flooring

The $89 adhesive is water based and isn't as waterproof as the petroleum based adhesives. It also requires being fastened mechanically for 3 or 4 days until it cures, this means stapling or taping the vinyl for the cure time. The Merideck adhesive is also for WOOD ONLY.

The bond is immediate with the contact cement so taping or stapling isn't required... and for $89 you can get 2 gallons of contact cement.

I'm sure the Merideck is a very good product, and for the price they charge it should be. Marideck is $17.99 per 1 linear foot, Nautolex is $18.99 for 3 linear feet... do you see the difference?

Ya its a bit more costly, I have found it for 13.00 per linear ft actually. I was looking at the hydro turf as well, its only 80.00 per 40x60, wtf. I guess there is no glue either tho to be bought.

kofkorn said:
I used the Nautolex Vinyl on my build over the winter. Link here: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22554&start=120.

I love the final look and effect. I used the nautolex 88 and had very good results with. I used the 3m Super 90 spray can to hold the edges down I wouldn't suggest this to someone else doing it. I've had some issues with some of the wrapped edges coming unglued from the aluminum. Seems to be an issue with the adhesion of the Super 90 with the aluminum. Luckily, the areas that I can see the separation are accessible and can be redone later, the other areas aren't visible and are mostly mechanically trapped as well.

I used a rolling pin instead of the fancy carpet rollers. Worked just as well in my opinion.

I'm glad to answer any questions you might have. There's tons of info in my build thread though.

Good luck!

Speaking from experience, the areas that you think are secured really aren't. The edges are first to peel and when you try to peel it back to reglue you'll find out that the field isn't really glued. It seems that the glue never really dries but remains tacky. I had failure after about 2 weeks, and this was on a non walking, no stress area.