MinnKota "Traxxis"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alumacraft

Reaction score
anyone own one? looking at getting one that is transom mount 36" shaft, 45lb thrust. also with the Digital Maximizer, which keeps you one the water 5x longer.

- Im looking to troll for walleyes at a constant speed of 2 mph with crank baits, will it do what is says? and Last 5X longer on one battery?

- also will a 45lb thrust be able to go 2-3 mph? my boat weighs 600 lbs total...

I recently purchased a Minn Kota Traxxas. It has a 42" shaft, 55 lbs. thrust, and is a variable speed model. I didn't have my bow mount ready last time out so I used it on the transom. It is harder for a TM to "push" than it is for it to "pull". Unfortunately, I didn't have my hand-held GPS with me to know the speed, but it was doing everything I would want in a TM. I had the motor on my 1754 Tracker Grizzly with a light load. The boat itself is just over 500 lbs..

The variable speed should give you longer run time because you do not always need all the power/thrust/speed that the typical 5-speed offers. I have read that the "Digital Maximizer" does help, but I don't know if it keeps you on the water 5x longer. But hey, if they say it in a catalog, it's got to be true... right? It's impossible to give an honest accurate answer without more details on your boat hull shape, width, length and such. What I can say is that if you plan on trolling for any length of time (even in calm weather), your battery may not be up for the task. If you can use your gas motor, you may be ahead of the game. With larger motors you have the option of using a trolling plate to slow you down.

I've seen charts somewhere before that recommends certain minimum thrust lbs. for certain size boats. Maybe someone will chime in and post a link to the site. The "folks-n-the-know" recommended 50 lbs. of thrust for my size boat I think... but a lot of it has to do with how you plan to use it and where. There is a big difference between scooting around in a protected cove verses being out in the middle of a big lake fighting waves and headwind. Just things to consider.

Here is one of the links that may help shed some light on the proper size trolling motor you will need/want. Hope it helps.

Choosing the Right Trolling Motor

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&mode=article&objectID=29748&objectType=article&cmid=OLBASIC_29748_TITLE

I use two size 27 batteries for my rear TM and upgraded from a Endura 50lb 12 volt to a Traxxis 80lb 24 volt. The difference is great. My max speed is slightly higher with the 80lb motor, but I'm able to achieve it at 75% thrust. This uses a lot less of the battery and there's been numerous days where after a day of fishing on the electric only reservoir, I've only used about 15% of my capacity, compared to using about 30% with the Endura.