MMF'S-1990 Tracker TX-17 Alum Build (FINAL PIX 10/22/11)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Derek said:
I don't know how much smoke you are getting but mine smokes a lot more on start-up but usually cleans up within a minute. Wouldn't the bad piston rings shown up on the compression check, if that was the problem?

Yep, piston rings would show up, that's why I said "motor ran good" at high speed, it would not have otherwise, just talking to myself in reasoning out the problem, thanks Derek.

I found the problem today after checking trigger resistances, trigger output, stator resistances, and stator output. Then I checked running (firing) voltage to the coils and all was in check, cranked skipping motor back up and started pulling plug wires while it was running and #3 (bottom) cylinder made NO difference in idle speed. This coil checked "good"on resistances, primary and secondary so, it must must have been firing across the winding inside the coil but NOT firing across the gap on the plug. It would even fire my inductive timing light, but it failed the spark test (very weak), good, I was really hoping it was not the power-pack not switching properly and it turned out to be the coil. I replaced it and #3 started firing good.

Even though the spark plugs were new when I started troubleshooting the motor, I ran a bunch of Sea Foam thru the fuel system and block which loosened alot of carbon etc. and stuck to the plug insulators while doing so, so I will buy new ones to replace them.

FYI....OMC calls for L78V plugs (surface gap) for continued HIGH SPEED operation on this motor, which will be the case on this motor. Troll motor will come into play after getting to an area to fish after the"run". This motor had the slow speed plugs (QL77JC4) installed which foul a whole lot easier in my book, at least that's been my experience.
I also noted that the QL77JC4 plugs have an internal resistance of 125 ohms which can reduce the fire to the tip, but reduce the noise and (RFI) generated to radios, depthfinders etc., while the L78V plugs have NO resistance, myself, I would rather have a hotter fire. I can put a filter on my electronics if there is a problem.

Got to move the tranducer up on the bracket, and reverse the sector shaft bolting on the steering helm and I will be ready to try again, wish me luck! :)

I was surprised to see your motor took the QL77JC4 plugs. I thought it was the same part number as my motor. However I looked it up and mine calls for L77JC4. Do you know the difference? I also run my motor at WOT the majority of the time. Is it possible for me to upgrade to those plugs and/or where did you find that info? I have only found the condensed version of the service manual for my motor.

Derek said:
I was surprised to see your motor took the QL77JC4 plugs. I thought it was the same part number as my motor. However I looked it up and mine calls for L77JC4. Do you know the difference? I also run my motor at WOT the majority of the time. Is it possible for me to upgrade to those plugs and/or where did you find that info? I have only found the condensed version of the service manual for my motor.

Derek, that info is in my OMC manual, the "Q" is the designated prefix for the "RFI suppressor" plug a little different than a resistor plug. It reduces radio frequency interference. Like I said previously, those plugs have an internal resistance of around 125 ohms which will reduce the fire at the plug a little, I want as MUCH FIRE as I can get at the plug.

I went to the auto-parts store to buy plugs yesterday and asked specifically for L78V champion surface gap plugs (which my manual calls for when continous high speed usage) and he brought out QL77JC4 plugs to the counter saying champion had replaced the L78V plug with them. I told him I did NOT want a "resistor" type plug, so I asked him to cross over an NGK plug with the L78V and he did, can't remember the number but they do NOT have any resistance in the center electrode.

I installed them and fired the motor up and ran it for awhile, we'll see how they hold up. The guy at the counter also said he sells alot of the NGK plugs to the guys that fish bass tournaments and according to them the NGK's last longer than the other plugs. Most new model Mercury motors come equipped with NGK's I have noticed too.

Good to know, thank you. If you find one of the plug boxes kicking around could you post up the part number.

Derek said:
the little cardboard box the plug came in, it would have the part number
Thanks for the chart

GOT YOU, Just came in but going backout and I will give it to you shortly. This keyboard sticks badly on the space key.

It is "cold" here today about 40, with the wind blowing hard, not used to the cold yet since it was 80 degrees yesterday! Ran the motor and started from dead COLD and no problems! Idles beautifully too!

Finished my friend's Johnson 150 Fasttrac motor on friday, he had starter problems and I had to chage some gears, bushings, bendix and shaft on it for him. Boy what JUNK those motors are made of, plastic flywheel covers, plastic linkages, plastic everywhere! Can't believe the manufacturers have done this to outboard motors!

Got my steering shaft reversed and also raised the tranducer. Maybe I will take it out the weekend and have good results. :)

That boat looks amazing! I would have never thought it was the same boat you started with. I really like decks. Outstanding job! =D>

mmf said:
The NGK cross reference plug for the Champion L78V plug is model # NGK BUHW-2, stock number 5626 :D

Here is a link to the plug on NGK's site: https://www.ngk.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=&pid=2985

Raining and cold here today in NC! :cry:

Thanks alot.
I wouldn't complain about the rain to much we got a foot of snow on Saturday night. Very heavy wet snow, broke trees/branches all over the place. People everywhere lost power. I just don't have cable so I can live.

Derek said:
mmf said:
The NGK cross reference plug for the Champion L78V plug is model # NGK BUHW-2, stock number 5626 :D

Here is a link to the plug on NGK's site: https://www.ngk.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=&pid=2985

Raining and cold here today in NC! :cry:

Thanks alot.
I wouldn't complain about the rain to much we got a foot of snow on Saturday night. Very heavy wet snow, broke trees/branches all over the place. People everywhere lost power. I just don't have cable so I can live.

I hear you Derek, it's good you did not lose power :eek: , that is a bummer, especially when it is cold outside!
You live in beautiful state! The woods in Maine (countryside) are so thick with trees it makes for a beautiful surrounding! Don't know whether you deer hunt or not but your state also has MONSTER bucks in your woods too!
If I recall from years ago, Maine held the largest deer ever killed in the USA for a long period of time, but I have not kept up with the records for a number of years.

I used to have a whitetail deer hunting book that was written by an author from Maine and I loved to read that book when I was a younger man and "dream" of getting some of the bucks he described in his book. My personal largest deer I have ever taken was a 10 point buck that weighed 230 lbs. He came up to the small field I had baited with corn behind my house one evening and I decided to take him after watching him for about 2 years. :D

I actually live in Massachusetts #-o. I'm not one of the "normal" idiots from here tho.
Last year I decided I wanted to start hunting, with no prior knowledge. To make it even harder I decided I would bow hunt only. Sat on stand ALOT last year with nothing to show for it. Come hell or high snow, this year I will get a deer.

Derek said:
I actually live in Massachusetts #-o. I'm not one of the "normal" idiots from here tho.
Last year I decided I wanted to start hunting, with no prior knowledge. To make it even harder I decided I would bow hunt only. Sat on stand ALOT last year with nothing to show for it. Come hell or high snow, this year I will get a deer.

I stand corrected brother, I know you WILL get one.....

I took boat out to Lake Wylie yesterday and it ran beautifully at idle and high speed. It was very cold all day with a steady wind from 15-25 MPH all day as well. I could have filled the boat with big nice size shad but I ran off and left my cast net.
Still had a little roostertail from the transducer even though I raised it so I must go up some more. Stayed out on the water about 6 hours and no leaks anywhere, I am glad of that. The 70 HP motor will really make the boat scoot on the water! I don't have a speedometer but I guess it was pushing 40-45 with 2 people sitting in the cockpit. :)

JBooth said:
40-45 mph is pretty quick! I really like the way you set up your boat. Great job! It looks amazing!

Thanks JBooth, yes, the boat moves very good and I was surprized after reading similar reports on speed from other tinboater's trackers.

Thanks for the compliments! :)

Latest posts