Monark 14' 48 COMPLETED 2-26-19

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skil Saw with a rip blade makes nice clean cuts in that type of foam, FYI.

Otherwise looks good, that is what I am going to use in my little rig, but the 1 1/2" variety.

eeeewwwwwww skil-saw and foam = not a good mix.
blue static sticky dust all over the place !!!
just a good sharp kitchen knife will work fine.
As a sign maker for many years, I have cut literally hundreds of big letters
out of the pink and blue builders foam with a skil-saw, jig-saw and Roto-Zip.
and believe me, it can really leave a MESS !!

for the sealer . . . . don't use the quantity mentioned in the photo. Unless you intend to use a whole gallon.
use "parts" to make the desired amount. (and I personally recommend varnish over polyurethane).
WaterProofing Formula.jpg

derekdiruz said:
Based on my 1542 boat, I'd need 2.4 of the 2" boards from home depot or lowes... 4x8ft. Under my floor like yours I only got 1 full board.

That is a very easy way to put foam in, and I think will work well, but that amount alone won't float your boat. However yours is lighter than mine with wood (that floats), vs aluminium I used

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I also plan to add foam under storage. Will need to strap it down....I hear it's not much good to have your foam floating : )

Johnny said:
eeeewwwwwww skil-saw and foam = not a good mix.
blue static sticky dust all over the place !!!
just a good sharp kitchen knife will work fine.
As a sign maker for many years, I have cut literally hundreds of big letters
out of the pink and blue builders foam with a skil-saw, jig-saw and Roto-Zip.
and believe me, it can really leave a MESS !!

for the sealer . . . . don't use the quantity mentioned in the photo. Unless you intend to use a whole gallon.
use "parts" to make the desired amount. (and I personally recommend varnish over polyurethane).

Yea can confirm the ole Reciprocating Saw and 2" foam board makes a "bit" of a mess. Oh well, clean up time clears the mind for next steps.
Good tip on the lesser amounts for mixing. I have no idea how far it will go.
Purchased the Polyurethane from my local True Value and he will be happy to swap for Varnish. Perhaps grab some Spar as lckstckn2smknbrls suggested.

Thanks for the suggestions!

First, let me apologize for such a long gap in updating my project. Trust me I was still reviewing the Conversions and Modifications area for guidance. Last items completed this week custom decals on the cowling of 25 hp Evinrude.
As it has been so long I don’t want to attempt to give all the detail behind the photos. That said if you have a question I will be happy to supply detail.
I will try and pick up where I left off and show finished boat and a few pics of it in action.
Thanks to all who answered my questions whether you knew it or not. Could not have done it without all your great ideas and advice. I hope my contribution helps someone else.
I will admit upfront I had more time and spent more than most would be willing to, but it is now an official family heirloom :). You will see a pic of who I hope is using it 50 years from now with his grandkids.

1A.jpgGood to have friends who are good painters.

Attachments

• 2A.jpg
    2A.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,083
  • 3A.jpg
    3A.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,083
  • 4A.jpg
    4A.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,083
A few pics of the aluminum frames and wiring details under it all. You can see simple two speakers for radio and it is a two battery system with Genius charger. Also bilge pump and battery switch.

Attachments

• 5A.jpg
    5A.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 6A.jpg
    6A.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 7A.jpg
    7A.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,082
Sorry I don't have pics of cutting holes for and installing hatches, applying deck covering and lots of detail work but here is finished boat. Will add some up close pics to show more detail below.

Attachments

• 8A.jpg
    8A.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,320
  • 9A.jpg
    9A.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,320
  • 10A.jpg
    10A.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,320
A few pics to show detail. My wife recreated the Monark factory decal for boat and did the custom Evinrude decals for cowling. I have to say those are two of my favorite elements.
Also, you can see the rocker switches on electronics panel. Rocker switches control; deck lights, hatch lights, running lights and lamp on front. The panel was made from a Walmart garbage can, fliped over, cut to fit and attached to the hatch that was made to open automatically with a gas strut. I enjoyed sorting out all the electrical as that is nothing I have experience with.

Attachments

• 11A.jpg
    11A.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 12A.jpg
    12A.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 13A.jpg
    13A.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 14A.jpg
    14A.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 15A.jpg
    15A.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 16a.jpg
    16a.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 16b.jpg
    16b.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 17A.jpg
    17A.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 17b.jpg
    17b.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 18A.jpg
    18A.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 19A.jpg
    19A.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 20A.jpg
    20A.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 21A.jpg
    21A.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,318
A few action pics from last summer.

Me
Best fishing buddy, of course, that = best buddy :)
90-year-old Father In Law
Grandson and future boat owner

Attachments

• 22A.jpg
    22A.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,317
  • 23A.jpg
    23A.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,317
  • 24A.jpg
    24A.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,317
  • 25A.jpg
    25A.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,317
  • 26A.jpg
    26A.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,317
1971 Monark 14' 48" project 100% complete and ready to fish. Thanks again for the good help I received from the Tin Boat family!

Attachments

• 27A.jpg
    27A.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,316
  • 28A.JPG
    28A.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,316
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Looks good.
I like the color combination.
Thanks
I have to admit I’m a long suffering TN Vols Basketball fan. Big Orange.
Tried not to be over the top with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk