Motor Advice, Please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbursell

Reaction score
Well, my trailer is all but done and I'm about ready to put the boat back on the trailer. :D
My temptation is to go ahead and fish a few times, then start the boat modifications. My question is this:

The 1982 25 hp Evinrude motor has sat completely neglected under what is essentially a carport for about nine years. The last time it was used, it ran like a top. After letting it sit for so long, what should I do before even trying to start it? I should mention that, when it comes to things mechanical, especially engines, I have been described as looking "like a bear cub trying to piss with boxing gloves". #-o

I'm wondering if I should even try it myself or take it to a professional. It would be a fifty mile one-way tow to take it to a shop.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

You could try getting some fresh gas and try starting it and see what happen never know it might start right up .But first thing I would do is clean out the carb , change the spark plugs , LU oil and Impeller that's about it as long as it gets gas and spark she should start seeing it worked good last time out . But no matter what change the Impeller .

Toughest thing to "do" is probably going to be the water impellor,was it used in salt?
Probably going to be dry rotted,carbs are the next,probably going to be gummed up.
Seeing it sat that long,I'd put alittle 2 stroke oil in the spark plug holes,check the gas lines for rot...then I'd probably change the plugs put some new gas and pull it over alot of times before it went to the shop(not saying thats right but I'd try to start it before it went to the shop).
If it does start make sure it's pumping water,you never know it might start right up.
Theres not a local guy around you that works on small gas engines?

Latest posts