My 1436... or wait.. 1432 mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dyeguy1212 said:
took your advice... gave it one good, thick coat. Now I can sleep easy tonight :-

Nice job - I didn't want to overtly say it, but I figured gently nudging you might do the trick! The more coats the better!

Yeah I have a feeling it will pay off... it seems pretty thick. I'm impressed with rustoleum so far. Easy to work with and it seems high quality. Much better spraying it myself than with a spray bomb.

The true test will be once its in the water... I have a feeling some rod tips will be chipping away at it..

going to SOS tomorrow morning to finally get the registration switched to my name... then coming back to start the topside paint... I'm nervous.. I hope it turns out purty... [-o<

dyeguy1212 said:
Yeah I have a feeling it will pay off... it seems pretty thick. I'm impressed with rustoleum so far. Easy to work with and it seems high quality. Much better spraying it myself than with a spray bomb.

The true test will be once its in the water... I have a feeling some rod tips will be chipping away at it..

going to SOS tomorrow morning to finally get the registration switched to my name... then coming back to start the topside paint... I'm nervous.. I hope it turns out purty... [-o<

rustoleum is some good paint, even if it's not really made for the water... but, with that being said - I wouldn't be scared to use it (especially for the inside)... it's actually very scratch resistant against rod tips and anchor chains (I know this from experience).

The extra coats will come in useful for those times too - each scratch you do should only be on the top coat, and underneat that will be the same color and you won't even notice it. You can always wet sand it back to hide the edges of the chip and it will be like brand new again

The really nice thing about rustoleum is I can spray it on with a good spray gun, and if need be, and I can buy a spray bomb of the exact same color and fill in any large chips or scratches..

First coat went on good! Used just under a half quart, and had to tilt it every which way to finish the last foot lol.

This stuff comes really thin, I couldnt believe I could thin it 5 to 1. But I did and it turned out pretty darn nice. Second coat will be the true test though.

I was stupid and dealt with the compressor the entire time. The pressure would die off after a few seconds, and I'd have to stop and let it charge up again. I'm only drawing 60 psi out of a massive compressor, but I didn't figure out the line was kinked at the outlet until I was finished. Oh well.

Attached are some pictures of the first coat. Tomorrow around noon I'll throw on the second, and let it bake for a few days while I do the interior work.

I have one templete done for the middle deck, so I'll cut that out tonight and water seal it. After that, I'll have to wait until the paint is dry enough to put the boat back on the trailer to get the remainder of the boat done.

Supposedly I have to wait a WEEK to put my boat in the water so the topside paint will dry completely, which seems a little overkill to me. But all in all I should be on the water next weekend for sure.

Attachments

• Molly.jpg
    Molly.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,023
  • Transom.jpg
    Transom.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,023
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 2,023
  • Bow.jpg
    Bow.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,023
Use every bit of paint you have - if you have just a little bit left over, use it on the bottom of the boat that will touch the trailer bunks and where it will beach up on the shore - trust me you will need it. I only put 3 coats on my other boat, and I wished I would have used what was left over in those spots.

But - it looks really good. I had my boat in the water 3 days after the final coat - and I put 2 coats on on the last day... it was like 100* outside though and in full sun... I waited til it wasn't tacky anymore and then blasted another thin coat on. Thin coats dry out quicker than heavy, so you'll be ok.

Thanks cheeseball.

I'll probably have it in the water earlier than I'm supposed to, but we'll see how the weather is. Tomorrow it will be sunny and hot, so I'm doing my second, final coat. The next few days will be rainy, so I'm keeping the boat in the garage and working on the decks and carpeting. I'm sure the paint will be dry to the touch, but the humidity wont help my cause.

I'm hoping the humidity wont mess with my water seal dry times either... I'm ready to get this thing done!

I cut the middle deck a few minutes ago... I'm not looking forward to working with this cheap arse plywood. My circular saw instantly turned into a splinter launching device...

dyeguy1212 said:
Thanks cheeseball.
I cut the middle deck a few minutes ago... I'm not looking forward to working with this cheap arse plywood. My circular saw instantly turned into a splinter launching device...

I was told that masking tape on both sides will eliminate that and make the result that much better.

Assuming painters tape will do, I'll be giving that a try! I'm going to pump my dad for some tips, considering he built this entire house I'm in about 8 years ago. I'm sure he has some ways to save me time.

Then again, he could tell me to get my boat out of his garage this week, and I'll be SOL. [-o<

So I was rummaging in the basement for some nylon straps from a back pack or something (to use for pull tabs on my storage doors) and I came across a freebie Verizon Wireless cooler I got at a pistons game. Being VW, its black and red. So is my boat. Check it out! I'm pumped about this find.. its the little things that impress the fishing buddies.

Attachments

• strap.jpg
    strap.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 2,110
Alright the final coat is done! I saved a very small amount of paint in the bottom of the quart so I can fill in any spots that were covered by tape that shouldnt have been. I have a feeling when I come into some money I'll buy an entirely new quart to allow me to touch it up next spring.

It turned out great and looks pretty good! :mrgreen: The only problem with the high gloss is that it shows dents and waves in the aluminum much more than a flat color would have. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with the turn out. I put it on extra thick where it will be beached, make contact with bunks, and be strapped down (handles and surrounding area). I barely had to sand down any spots before recoating, so I REALLY recommend spraying it on, for those of you about to.

As you'll see in one of the pics, the tape covered a few spots that shouldnt have been, so I'm going to pick up a fine tipped artsy fartsy brush to fill in the minute spots of primer.

I'll let it bake the rest of the day in the 80 degree sun, while I go to Lowes and pick up the carpet and some odds and ends I need to get the interior done in the next few days.

I'll post up when I get some more done!

Attachments

• bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 2,076
  • Edge.jpg
    Edge.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 2,076
  • missed spot.jpg
    missed spot.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,076
  • Finish.jpg
    Finish.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,076
  • stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,076
  • hull.jpg
    hull.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 2,076
Thanks Ben.

Went to lowes today and got a 7x12 peice of black carpet with rubber backing for under 6 bucks a sq foot. Also got some spray adhesive to spray on the ply before applying the carpet, and some more hinges for the storage area. Searched lowes up and down and they had no piano hinges,,, ended up getting some 3 inch door style ones for around 3 bucks.

I also got a small sponge (the ones on a stick of painting) to touch up the spots that the tape covered up.

I'm going to get going on the decks tomorrow morning.. hoping to get them all cut out and watersealed by tomorrow night. Rain is in the forcast for the next few days so we'll see how long it takes for that stuff to dry.

Alright the decking is almost complete! I worked from 7:30 AM to 7:15 PM I'm BEAT. Here are some pictures to get the jist of it. I will waterseal it all tomorrow, and the following day it will be carpeted and secured.

You'll notice the foam underneath, which worked out great. The middle decking doesnt have any supports other than the ribs, because it is filled with 1" foam (which is the same size as the ribs.) I made the foam just large enough to stay hidden under the decking, but allow me to reach down and get stuff that falls thru the gap easily. I painted the edges black so I wouldnt have pink showing through when you look at an angle. I also found you can "sand" the stuff on your drive way to get rid of the little pieces that break off. All the edges are rounded and smooth as can be.

Took me 2 tries to get the front deck right, but it turned out pretty good. Its LOADED with foam underneath, which is good considering I took so much out of the front bench. I'll get some more pics up when I have progress to show.

Sure hope she still floats :shock: it weighs significantly more.... [-o<

Attachments

• Middle Deck.jpg
    Middle Deck.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,053
  • Front hatch.jpg
    Front hatch.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 2,053
  • Rear deck before hatch cut out.jpg
    Rear deck before hatch cut out.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 2,053
  • Under Front Deck.jpg