My first Striper..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ010

Reaction score
Well... Merrick and I finally kicked the skunk out of the boat last night while striper fishing

Cut trout seemed to be the appetite of atleast 3 fish (2 cats and this striper)... 12lbs 5oz

striper 1.JPG

Came out of Carter's Lake... but there's a river that runs through it.. don't know if you've ever heard of the Coosa River system

Whoa...Nice one to dunk the skunk with. Congrats.

Pretty soon you'll be referring to green fish as bait.

Well... I don't know what kind of details you are looking for.. but here goes.

Water Temp: 53*
Weather: No wind and cloudy - all fish bit when a little wind blew
Clarity - PRISTINE...
Outside Temp: 40-45*
Boat sitting depth: 15'
Casting Depth: 20-30' (he was deep... and we couldn't bleed him and he wouldn't go back down. One of our friends was striper fishing from the shore and he took him home to eat)
Line - 20# Big Game mono
3/0 Kahle hook
Bait - Frozen (literally) trout caught earlier this summer cut into 3/4" chunks.
Weight - 1/2 or 1oz egg sinker... can't remember on that log
Leader: about 2.5-3'
Technique: sit and wait until that clicker starts going crazy... we were bottom fishing and anchored down

Most of the fish we saw going to our spot were suspended at 15'. We were set up just off a river ledge that went from 15' down to anywhere from 30-60'

Very nice Russ, Them stripers are fun to catch.. I have never caught any shallow, I have only fished summertime with 45' deep downlines, Never bleed any and never any floaters, But man they are fun to catch, Steve78 and I are going to carters real soon aboard Triton Mikes boat, I cant wait.. Im hoping after that i can get Tracker Tom to go up and do some striper fishing..

Russ , Glad to see ya kicked the skunk to thew curb ;) Nice Striper :)
I was wondering where ya went and am glad to see your still wetting a line !
Tight Lines and Congrats !

hengstthomas said:
Russ , Glad to see ya kicked the skunk to thew curb ;) Nice Striper :)
I was wondering where ya went and am glad to see your still wetting a line !
Tight Lines and Congrats !

Man... I'm still here. Nov-Dec are some of my busiest times at work, and I've been working about 70 hours a week for the last 2 months. This week is the first that I've got out of the office by 6pm.

Needless to say, I'm way overdue for some good fishing - and come hell or highwater (or snow tomorrow) I'll be out there again in the morning/day looking for big spots, then back to the stripers at night time. I'll be a little ice cube by the time tomorrow is over with

Shoot, your first striper could have easily eaten my first one, and still ousts my biggest. Nice fish!

Bugpac said:
I have never caught any shallow

Oh man, you are missing out. When you come across a surface feeding school in the spring or fall is when you'll really have a blast with it.

Steve78 and I are going to carters real soon aboard Triton Mikes boat, I cant wait..
Your in for a real treat there. Mike is a great guy, and really knows his stuff.

Bugpac said:
As long as you take your Ga thermometer with ya tomorrow you'll be fine... :)

HOLY SMOKES!!!!! I want to fish, not clean myself!!

Guys, I wish I could show you the Georgia Thermometer because it is OUT OF THIS WORLD~! but, it's a little R rated...

but just to give you guys a little feeding... if you've ever seen the nipple on a calf feeding bottle, just picture that on a nice rack

and if you want to see the real deal, shoot me a text message to 404-694-4689 saying "send it" and I'll forward it on to ya. I blew it up on my computer, and those things are ungodly real - what's underneath them might not be, but the highbeams are on and shinning bright!

What a tank! Nice going Russ. The closest thing I've come to catching a striper was back in the Summer when one came up and relieved me of a Sammy on Lake Lanier.

Latest posts