My first taste of a higher-end reel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've really only used the Heluim LTA rods - and none of mine are split grip, so I'm going to have to adjust when I get more... But, I think they use the best Fuji parts available - I could be wrong though... but these things are LIGHT WEIGHT and the sensitivity is 2nd to none. I've had 1 of my Kistlers (my favorite) going on 5 years, and the newest one I just got about 2 months ago... but it's not as good in my opinion as my oldest rod, so it doesn't get used quite as much, but it's still one of my worm/jig rods

ilinimud said:
So you are liking the Kistlers huh. They dont use very much Fuji components on their rods do they? Does that not affect the performance? I thought about getting the Magnesium TS, but went with the Powell Max instead. I love it so far.
The Mag TS is lighter than the Powell, I think the lightest rod i own is the cumara. I love the Powells also!!!

That is the knock i have heard on Kistler, they have went downhill since thier "glory years" a few years back.

Russ, how would you compare the sensitivty of the LTA you have against the Powell? I think right now the Powell Max for 139.99 is the best buy in bass fishing. LoL Dont know if me putting down an extra 20-50 bucks will get me a far superior rod. I am thinking about going all Powell.

I thought about the Cumara, but i am glad i didnt get it. I got sucked into the Carrot Stix thing, and HATED the foam grips. I am sure the Cumara is a great rod, but i couldnt handle the grips.

well... remember the rod that I lost a few months ago when it went into the water? that was my Powell Max rod.. It was "ok", but the only reason I didn't like it was because of that split grip. I didn't like the little amount of cork at the but. I really want atleast enough to put my whole hand around and hold like a handle for when I cast.

As far as comparing sensitivity - there's little differences, but a fish tapping is a fish tapping. I also think a lot of the sensitivity has to do with the type of line your using.

I changed up this weekend a little bit on my skeet reese reel... I was planning on pitching in heavy timber, so I picked up a pack of 20# Seaguar Red Label Fluoro - wow is all I can say... and that reel can definitely handle it. I'm seriously debating on what the next rod is going to be for that skeet reel. Right now I'm not going to get anything until this Daiwa Procyon gives out - and that is a very sensitive rod for $50

Yeah, it took a while for me to get used to the little piece of cork at the end, but now that i have used it a lot i kinda like it. I am thinking about getting a custom rod for my worm fishing. I have found some built with good Rainshadow, and St Croix blanks for cheaper than you can get one on thier rods.

you need to talk to Brine about those Rainshadow blanks... I'm pretty sure that's what he was using in a spinning rod model for his finesse fishing.... and that thing was powerful