Nav lights, safety and LED's

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

river_wolf

Reaction score
Ok, now I have been talking to a few guys at work about fishing here at night and have heard that a couple of them have came close to getting hit by other boats even though they have had the required lighting for Georgia.

Now, I am wondering if I were to get some LED’s in Green and Red, and place them both front and rear on the boat, LED’s are brighter and pull less voltage than other lights that you can put on the boat.

I was wondering if there were requirements from placing marking lights on the sides fore and aft on a Jon boat? I will still have the high mount 360-degree light, just want to be seen by others so that I don’t stand a chance of getting ran over by other boats but not kill my battery.

I found some LED’s that are water proof at Pep boys and if I mount them high on the edge of the boat they should be highly visible at night. But don’t want to do something that will break the laws as far as marking my boat.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Wolf.

Here are the nav light rules. https://www.uscgboating.org/SAFETY/fedreqs/equ_nav.htm

I would not run any color other than white when sitting still.A confused boater may think you are moving and run you over if you use red or green.You could use one of these mounted high up.Remember that LEDS are directional and become less visable at certain angles. https://www.bebi-electronics.com/owl.html

I am aware of using the nav lights underway and white at rest, I was just wondering if it would be practical to put a red light mid ships on the port and a green on the starboard in conjunction with the dual color on the bow for when I am moving. I was looking at also mounting some white lights on the bow for when at rest as well or when I am pulling up to the ramp or dock at night.

Latest posts