Need advice on my boat project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turismo01

Reaction score
Hello I am new to this site and looking for info. :? I am going to be redoing my 12ft flat bottom jon boat and i would like to get some advice on what i could do and what not to do. I am wanting to put in a live well and thought about doing away with my middle seat and maybe putting my live well there with a little seat built on top. I would like to put carpet on it but dont know what the best brand to go with or the cheapest carpet. If anyone could give me any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• flatbottomboat.jpg
    flatbottomboat.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 603
Just go to the mod section and check out other 12' builds to see what others have done. You'll find more info than you'll ever get through. Just by reading the mods you will usually get all your questions answered becasue everyone has asked the same questions at some point. Welcome to the site by the way, this place is great!! Take lots of pics when you start your project and post them for us!!!

oh i have found some good ideas here. I can now start my project. i will take pics to share with everyone!! Thank you. This site is awesome!!!

Are you going to make the livewell or buy one? Before you cut out the center seat you might want to decide about the live well. If you can incorporate the livewell somehow into the existing seat it would be a good way to retain the structural support the seat now provides. If you do take it out you might want to figure a way to add some structure back in with the new livewell. There are lots of carpet options - people use everything from outdoor carpet and astro-turf to good quality marine carpet. If you keep the boat garaged or covered you might get away with a cheaper carpet and if it's open and outside all the time you might want to get the good stuff so it will hold up to the sun and rain. Do a search for livewells here - several people have made theirs out of coolers and plumbing parts. Let us in on your progress.

yes i was thinking of using a cooler then put a pump in it so i can cirulate the water and add air. my middle seat is very narrow. i thought about putting a deck maybe across the front two seats then and have a hole cut out for a cooler to go down in and that way i can take it out too. thanks for the carpet tip.

my boat didnt come with a drain hole. is it possible to drill a hold and make one or should i get a pump? and has anyone of heard of using stuff like rhino lining for the bottom of boats?

Use steelflex for the bottom of the boat... its cheaper than a gallon of Rhino linner and much, much, much stronger too. Just do a search on the topic of steelflex... it comes in a variety of colors. They make drain kits that you can install with 3M 5200. You could use a cooler easily with a pump for your livewell. Lowe's has carpet for 47 cents a square foot.

Not trying to start a debate but, I wouldn't waste my money on the super slick.... unless your worried about unnoticeable amounts of drag between the regular and super slick, or if your going to be racing the boat, or trying to get lift off like a toon plane. The regular is about half the price.

Go to the website earlier posted.... call the phone #, and ask for jerry. Tell him what your looking for and he'll indulge you with all the info needed.

Latest posts