Outboard rec for 12ft 1985 Duranautic

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would definetly go with a 9.9 but in a two stroke !! A nice early to mid nineties two stroke omc only weighs about 65 lbs and they fly, I owned a couple and they were great.

Someone near me is selling a 7.5HP johnson (2 stroke), and a 5hp Nissan (4 stroke) that I may check out, cant seem to find a good used 9.9 right now

7.5 Johnson is fine for you 2 cyl, less vibration, and weight..many parts aval.. plenty of power.... do a compression test and if decent buy it.. but
first i would make sure the lower unit bolts are not buggered .... ( I saw one offered with rusted rounded .. somethings.. I would not even call them bolts !!!) I would drop the lower unit and change the impeller as a starting point and put never seize on everything I touch..
and it's great that they are NEAR ya so you can grab them by the .....

I would definetly go with a 9.9 but in a two stroke !! A nice early to mid nineties two stroke omc only weighs about 65 lbs and they fly, I owned a couple and they were great.
Oh yea.. I missed out on a 8hp 2 stroke Yammie.. Pristine condition.. still kickin myself..

and. and.. most of that vintage can just bolt on a diff carb and boost the hp to 15+... worth a consideration, if you ever move up in size you can take your baby with ya...
as a side not I will not even look at a long shaft , or any conversion long shaft to short.. not that a long shaft would even fit, but long shafts are typically used on sail boats and some have lots of hours, then lots of neglect.. a hard life..

PUFFOUT I know your in Long Island sound.. and there is not a lot of skinny water there so it might not be a consideration for you, but....
the lubrication system in 4 strokes is something to pay attention to.. not so in 2 strokes w/ just the mix to concern..

I destroyed 2 nice Yami 4hp 4stokes running too long on the tilt bracket... the sump is not quite deep enough to allow the spoons on the crank end to provide the necessary amount of splash lubrication... exploded the plastic timing gear in both cases...
my new merc 6hp 4stroke has pressure lubrication (with no oil filter to concern) and even a led light to show if there is a issue.. but it has other issues.. vibration, noise (even with the cowling lined with the right stuff)..

and a few other issues.. not recommended.. go with a yammi and a 8hp is 2 cylinder and much quieter and less vibs..

Someone near me is selling a 7.5HP johnson (2 stroke), and a 5hp Nissan (4 stroke) that I may check out, cant seem to find a good used 9.9 right now
I had the 13 ft. Model and ran it with a 9.9 4stroke. I later put a 15 Yamaha on it and the raped ape mentioned earlier comes to mind. I used it in saltwater bays and tidal rivers……

Your boat is welded and should be fine withe a 4 stroke 9.9 as I see plenty of them here in NJ.

My current rig is a 16ft Duranautic side console with a 30hp 2-stroke Evinrude E-tec.

How much do I like my Duranautic? This boat will be with me when I take my last breath.

Maybe I'm just a wus, but I'd not take a boat like that out on anything much bigger than a pond, no matter what motor was on the back. Like the man said: I think you're going to need a bigger boat!

Latest posts