Outboard rec for 12ft 1985 Duranautic

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puffout

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought this used 1985 12FT Duranauttic in good condition.
Was only used in freshwater, and stored indoors during the off-season.
I am looking to use it in Long Island Sound bays, only when calm for fishing.
Its rated for 10HP, but would like advice on what the biggest HPoutboard I could use. I would like to put on a 9.9HPduranautic 12 pink small.jpg, but maybe it makes better sense to get a 6HP.
Usually would be 2 adults on board
Any advise would be greatly appreciated..

My advice would be to stick with the 10HP (or 9.9).

BUT...

It really depends on the kind of water you're going to operate on. You said Long Island Sound bays. That small boat is going to be challenged on more open portions of the bays, and I think I'd want the more powerful 10HP motor. The 6 HP motor would push that boat, and would work on no-wake lakes like those near me in the Midwest. But with the larger water, I'd opt for the added safety of the bigger motor so I could get going a little faster if a breeze comes up or sudden storm develops.

Many years ago I lived on the South Shore. I remember how rough things could get for an outboard-powered boat on the Great South Bay.

Last edited:
I would also go with the 9.9. Other than a potential savings in initial cost, I can't reason why it would make more sense to get the 6 HP. If you want to go slower you can always back off the throttle. Both will be pretty good on fuel consumption.

Boat looks great -- congrats!

Hi, thanks for the replies. Actually, I prefer the 9.9HP. My main concern is can my boat handle the extra weight in the stern, compared to the lighter outboards?

What's the labeled capacity of your boat? That would include motor, persons, gear, and any add-ons you have in the boat (decks and accessories). If you're under the max, then you should be OK.

The weight difference between the 6 and the 9.9 is somewhere around 40 pounds. I think the added weight (and shifted center of gravity) might be a minor factor if you're in the boat alone. You just have to be aware of the issue as you're loading the boat.

It does say max 10HP, but my concern is that the newer outboards are 4-stroke and weigh more than they did back in the 1980's.

Understand; my 40 pound delta between the 6 and the 10 is based on new 4-stroke outboards.

The weight capacity listed on the identiplate is the crucial number to your concern over the added weight of the 10 HP outboard. For example, my boat has a maximum capacity (persons, gear, and motor) of 895 pounds; that number is listed on the identiplate. When there are two fisherman and gear in the boat (450 pounds), my boat is very near that max weight. That's because I have added decks (75 pounds), a 3 gal fuel tank (25 pounds when full), trolling motor, fish finder, and two batteries (100 pounds), safety gear and miscellaneous items (25 pounds), 3 seats (75 pounds), and a 20 hp outboard that weighs 125 pounds. If I replaced the 20HP outboard with a 30HP unit, that would add 50 pounds, putting me way over the limit. I'd have to trade off gear to accommodate the mower powerful outboard.

I just rechecked, it says 570lbs persons, motor & gear.
I will have limited gear and 2 adults, so it seems it would be under max weight with a 9.9.

Hi,
Its rated for 10HP, but would like advice on what the biggest HPoutboard I could use. I would like to put on a 9.9HPView attachment 115412, but maybe it makes better sense to get a 6HP.
I think I saw that boat for sale on CL a little while ago. Appears to be in nice shape especially it being an '85. But is it big enough for LI sound?

I think I saw that boat for sale on CL a little while ago. Appears to be in nice shape especially it being an '85. But is it big enough for LI sound?
Hi, yes you did :). It will just be used in the bays/harbors, and only when it's like a lake. Deciding on which engine, 9.9, 9.8, 8, or 6??

NICE RIDE...!!! beautiful condition there.. a rare find... I have some insight into your opportunities as I have been "SHARKING" about Barnegat Bay for .. well about 14yrs in tin boats... my 1978 Duranautic DN-12 is identical to yours I suspect.
As to your specific ?... yea the transom is stiff enough, well braced and welded nicely to handle the 10hp range outboards, even the heavier 4strokes..I would consider a AZK-STARBOARD, or some synthetic plastic backing plate to spread the motor mount load out a bit... (see attached)
I am currently running a 6hp 4stroke POS Mercury that I bought new 5yrs ago.. ? as a do over I would go with a Yammie 9.9...
I have had several engines on this boat from a 2hp Suziki D-2, 'rudes, Fastwins, a 5hp 4stroke Honda, a 8hp 4stroke Merc.. hell eve a British Seagull..
yea.. I love to play with engines... little ones.. but my situation is a bit more unique than yours.. If I break down i can walk/wade back home most of the time, you might be over your head !!!

so that's the WHAT ..
you should consider the WHERE you put the fuel tank to balance out the load.. I run a 3gal fwd of the front seat.. I got a lot of groceries at the tiller.. .
I have my battery (for fish finder and bilge) fwd as well..
So I have been out bobbing around when I should not have been, and when it gets lumpy you def want to get back to the cold beer asap..more HP...
and those 2 Blue Swivel Personal "LAUNCHERS" ??? fine for a lake but they WILL be the first thing you take off.. and your seat/hull braces and rivets will thank you for it..
Pm me and I will share more than you wanted to see

Attachments

• transom plate.jpg
    transom plate.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi,
Its rated for 10HP, but would like advice on what the biggest HPoutboard I could use. I would like to put on a 9.9HPView attachment 115412, but maybe it makes better sense to get a 6HP.

I made a comment before but don't see it. With the 9.9 HP you can get electric start.

NICE RIDE...!!! beautiful condition there.. a rare find... I have some insight into your opportunities as I have been "SHARKING" about Barnegat Bay for .. well about 14yrs in tin boats... my 1978 Duranautic DN-12 is identical to yours I suspect.
As to your specific ?... yea the transom is stiff enough, well braced and welded nicely to handle the 10hp range outboards, even the heavier 4strokes..I would consider a AZK-STARBOARD, or some synthetic plastic backing plate to spread the motor mount load out a bit... (see attached)
I am currently running a 6hp 4stroke POS Mercury that I bought new 5yrs ago.. ? as a do over I would go with a Yammie 9.9...
I have had several engines on this boat from a 2hp Suziki D-2, 'rudes, Fastwins, a 5hp 4stroke Honda, a 8hp 4stroke Merc.. hell eve a British Seagull..
yea.. I love to play with engines... little ones.. but my situation is a bit more unique than yours.. If I break down i can walk/wade back home most of the time, you might be over your head !!!

so that's the WHAT ..
you should consider the WHERE you put the fuel tank to balance out the load.. I run a 3gal fwd of the front seat.. I got a lot of groceries at the tiller.. .
I have my battery (for fish finder and bilge) fwd as well..
So I have been out bobbing around when I should not have been, and when it gets lumpy you def want to get back to the cold beer asap..more HP...
and those 2 Blue Swivel Personal "LAUNCHERS" ??? fine for a lake but they WILL be the first thing you take off.. and your seat/hull braces and rivets will thank you for it..
Pm me and I will share more than you wanted to see
HI, thanks for the info, I believe there is a synthetic transom plate on it.
I'm still deciding on which engine to get, send more pics of your boat.

oh and if your synthetic transom plate is not secured to the floor bracket, and the transom top you may be still flexing the transom more than you should..
mine tucks inside the lip on the top..

Attachments

• transom plate.jpg
    transom plate.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 0