Networking a humminbird 798c si

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hookedontronics

Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up a humminbrid 798c si. I wanted this for the front of my boat for the side scan, but since it has the gps I was wondering if there is a way to network this to another hummingbird unit (preferably a cheaper one) that I can run in my console for the gps. Is this possible, and if so, what will I need?

Also, what is a good high quality transducer mount (preferably metal) so i can mount this on my trolling motor? I've seen a few plastic ones but they have horrible reviews. Thanks

https://www.basspro.com/Transducer-Shield-&-Saver-for-Humminbird-Down-Imaging-Transducer/product/1206080159/

That's what I've used with my 798 and it works great (aluminum construction)

There's a lot of hype online with the transducers for this unit - just so you know replacing the transducer with another one offered by humminbird doesn't do anything for your image clarity - the 798 can only use the 455khz side imaging signal. I called humminbird tech support after getting mixed information online and got my info straight from them (after a lengthy hold waiting to get through.) I still replaced mine with the thru-hull model that happened to come with the 800khz capability so that I could use the 2d depthfinder at hi-speed so I can say 1st hand absolutely there's no difference between mounting the unit to my trolling motor (original transducer) and mounting it to the thru-hull at the back of the boat...

Don't think you can network another unit to use the internal GPS of the 798, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but you would need the neworking module and a separate GPS (external) unit to achieve that.

So can I network this? Basically hat I want to know is if I can share the gps antenna with another unit, as i'll use another transducer for a new fishfinder to mount on the cockpit.

Humminbird's customer service

1-800-633-1468

That's the kind of answer you want to get the answer from tech-support not an online forum.

You can network a 798 HD unit, not a standard 798. The HD requires an adaptor cable to connect to the standard Ethernet cable. This adaptor is also needed for the new xx9 series units. The cheapest networkable unit out is the new 859. You can pick one up for under $600.

Latest posts