new guy / transom modifcation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavy-chevy

Reaction score
new to the forum here, just got a 14' boat for a few weeks ago for $30 from a friend and have already fully decked, and carpeted it, added a console with steering and throttle and got a 25 hp johnson for $50, runs like a champ now. it all totals out to around $300 after parts/hardware and i split the cost/work with my brother so it ended up a pretty sweet deal. anyways, the problem is the motor is a long shaft. i took it out for a test run today and it refuses to get on a full plain. it just plows along at like 15mph with half the leg of the motor dragging and it just bogs down. the non tiller model doesnt have an additional piece between the mid section and lower unit, so short shaft is 20" and i cant convert to a 15" shaft that way, so i want to build the transom up and was wondering if anyone has done it, or if its common at all. if any one has some pictures if they have done it that would be great. will i need some braces to the floor or will just an extension piece with plywood in between that runs down the transom on both sides be strong enough. i need about 5". i have some 1/4" (edit: i meant to say 1/8") aluminum and some plywood already.

thanks

thanks anyways lol. heres some pics

before

IMG_0474.jpg

after

Photo0649.jpg

Photo0700.jpg

kinda need a trailer lol, the longbed has met its match.

Photo0701.jpg

and from the test run today

Photo0704.jpg

Photo0708.jpg

she definitly doesnt haul the mail with the shaft that long lol. it moves pretty good for not plaining though. i have never owned a john boat or even been in one with a motor before, but the back of the boat should get out of the water on these things right?

Is that boat even rated for a 25? I would be concerned about lengthening the transom on that boat. I have seen it done before, but it was all on deeper boats that had a drop down transom anyway. Yours has a lift from the gunwales as it is, and I don't think I would want to raise that transom any more than it already is.

I think your best bet would be to sell the 25 and get something with a short shaft. Or even try to advertise an even trade, as there may be somebody who has the opposite problem as you.

no it probably isn't rated for a 25, but i beefed up the transom quite a bit, im sure it can handle it. it didn't feel too powerful to me. I'm in the middle of making a riser plate right now, i will post pics when I'm done tonight. I will run it tomorrow and it it seems dangerous then il consider selling and getting a short shaft, but i doubt it will be a problem.

looks like you got a real nice deal,nice work on the mods
hope that board doesn't let go or snap when your moving
that outboard looks like it's bigger than your boat,if(when) you get her tuned up she will fly

thanks for the replies.

i got her running strong, the problem wias how the throttle was hooked directly to the carb, no timing, and now it rips. loaded with gear and 3 people it was doing at least 30-35. with one person its really fast. it will get up on plane at 1/2 throttle. after a few runs it bent the transom riser very slightly, so i braced it up with some square bar and it shouldn't be a problem now. im going fishing with it tomorrow morning and I'll bring the camera and gps. i have some pics to post in a few minutes, and maybe i will have a video to post tomorrow.

Cool, and glad you got it working! :) . If the square bar doesn't do the trick, you might want to try a long-term fix. If you know someone who has a tig welder and some aluminum, you might add some Knee Braces to the transom.
Here's a pic of knee braces:
normal_knee_braces.JPG

i plan on eventually triangulating some more square bar braces to the floor, basically the same thing. but right now il see how what i have does. the only welder i have access to is an arc welder, id have to pay for tig so il see if its necessary.

heres some pics.

Photo0084.jpg

Photo0086.jpg

Photo0085.jpg

I of course know jack **** about boats, other than I like them, but that raised transom looks very sturdy to me. I love the deck and mods you did, looks like a pro job =D>

yeah you could pretty much drive that thing backwards down a road and be in the next Road Warrior movie

You're going to have some pretty impressive "rooster tails" with that square aluminum on the back of the transom!

only one side throws a roost from the square bar, i pluged it.
heres a vid.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=w7KVyiPoJbY

Latest posts