New guy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like all the replies thanks. Well the transom hardware is ready for primerView attachment 117498 Took a lot longer than planned. The side brackets were full of corrosion. Really had to wire brush it to death to get it to shine. The long bracket across the bottom of the wood transom was difficult to wire brush. Tore my hand up pretty good with a wire brush but got it done. The inside of the flat plate had to be hand done. Still have some work on the inside were the gluvit ran View attachment 117499View attachment 117500View attachment 117502 Plan Tomorrow to smooth it out with orbit sander and 320 grit. Got the side ribs outside sanded and will coat it in black when done with the inside View attachment 117503 found a few mild runs and sanded them out on outside. Have plenty of blue paint left so no problem. Tired and a bit intoxicated but doing good.
Really coming around swell. My gosh you did quite of job on the bottom inside transom track. Looks brand new !! I didn't get the boat w/ that alum. outside transom plate. Mine came w/ a wooden outside transom. I thought it might be original so I copied the pattern out of the Wenge. I guess mine is aftermarket and not original ?? Oh well, I like it. I was less stubborn w/the inside of the boat b'c it had a nice Tuff Coat and I thought I'd just freshen it up w/ a new coat over the old. I'm eventually geauxing to cover a lot up w/ a flat bottom frame and alum. floor along w/ maybe a couple few alum. storage and doors or lids. If I don't change the benches too much, I will prolly add Wenge bench tops. (got plenty).
I can't wait to see the paint steps coming soon !!
Good job sir,
God bless !!

I plan on using the transom plate. It mounts with four bolts and can easily attach a piece of wood on outside and the inside. I have a lot of wood working tools so we are going to plane a board down to 3/8 and router the edges to fit plate. Really want the benefit of wood when mounting the outboard. I have a bunch of Red Oak leftover from a cabinet job I did a few years ago. When the Oak starts to look bad I have plenty to replace it with.

I plan on using the transom plate. It mounts with four bolts and can easily attach a piece of wood on outside and the inside. I have a lot of wood working tools so we are going to plane a board down to 3/8 and router the edges to fit plate. Really want the benefit of wood when mounting the outboard. I have a bunch of Red Oak leftover from a cabinet job I did a few years ago. When the Oak starts to look bad I have plenty to replace it with.
Oh, that sounds fine !! Very hard wood. I might like the look of Red vs White Oak in cabinets and wood projects, although in this case it will be sandwiched and won't really be seen. But , it will be nice to know it's there, supporting everything.

I had to cut an 80yr old Red Oak w/diameter of 42", on the east of my property as it was dying , loosing large limbs & hanging over the dirt road to my driveway. There are a few property owners in the back woods that used the road & were very unhappy to see me cut it down. I didn't want to be responsible for anyone getting killed by it & it took up the whole east rising of the stars & planets at night restricting my astrophotography hobby.

The previous owners came back about 5yrs after I purchased the property and offered to buy it back. They said I had made the place look so much better (brighter w/more grass) after cutting the trees and opening the dark, hidden look from before. Well, that and they missed it. But this was geauxing to be where I lived out the winter of my life after traveling for work all my life. It's 1st house purchase & last place I'll ever live. I guess I love it as much as they did.

Unfortunately , she died and her husband asked if he could spread her ashes under the Red Oak ?? My, ... , I mentioned I had cut it down, but they already knew. Seems they had been monitoring my progress w/ the place and she wanted to be spread there anyway b'c she loved it so much. I told him, "of course, come spread her ashes, I'll pray w/him and have coffee and talk if you like ... you are welcome to visit her anytime". Well, he did and then 6 mo. later there daughter informed me that her father had died and wanted to have his ashes spread next to hers. "Of course" I told her and we had coffee , prayed and did the whole thing again.

It's kind of funny though, b'c it's on the top of a slope that ends up draining across the dirt road and into a pond that drains back into my property through a culvert way up front of my property by the main street. Well, I guess they're back on the property by now albeit not exactly where they intended.
Anyway, I think it's funny how God makes such interesting stories for ppl in life. It seems there's a interesting story about everything I've every experienced ?? Maybe it's just the way I look at them but it makes my life fun. I always wanted to have my ashes poured into the L.S.U. lake where I grew up in the shadow of Death Valley (Tiger Stadium) & the university, sailed, fished & learned self relience !! But that's a whole other story.
Sorry bout' the book. Love the Red Oak idea,
Thanks for sharing,
Sincerely ....................

I wish I had some of your talents. I’m going to have to replace my transom and don’t have a clue how I’m going to do it yet.

Oh, that sounds fine !! Very hard wood. I might like the look of Red vs White Oak in cabinets and wood projects, although in this case it will be sandwiched and won't really be seen. But , it will be nice to know it's there, supporting everything.

I had to cut an 80yr old Red Oak w/diameter of 42", on the east of my property as it was dying , loosing large limbs & hanging over the dirt road to my driveway. There are a few property owners in the back woods that used the road & were very unhappy to see me cut it down. I didn't want to be responsible for anyone getting killed by it & it took up the whole east rising of the stars & planets at night restricting my astrophotography hobby.

The previous owners came back about 5yrs after I purchased the property and offered to buy it back. They said I had made the place look so much better (brighter w/more grass) after cutting the trees and opening the dark, hidden look from before. Well, that and they missed it. But this was geauxing to be where I lived out the winter of my life after traveling for work all my life. It's 1st house purchase & last place I'll ever live. I guess I love it as much as they did.

Unfortunately , she died and her husband asked if he could spread her ashes under the Red Oak ?? My, ... , I mentioned I had cut it down, but they already knew. Seems they had been monitoring my progress w/ the place and she wanted to be spread there anyway b'c she loved it so much. I told him, "of course, come spread her ashes, I'll pray w/him and have coffee and talk if you like ... you are welcome to visit her anytime". Well, he did and then 6 mo. later there daughter informed me that her father had died and wanted to have his ashes spread next to hers. "Of course" I told her and we had coffee , prayed and did the whole thing again.

It's kind of funny though, b'c it's on the top of a slope that ends up draining across the dirt road and into a pond that drains back into my property through a culvert way up front of my property by the main street. Well, I guess they're back on the property by now albeit not exactly where they intended.
Anyway, I think it's funny how God makes such interesting stories for ppl in life. It seems there's a interesting story about everything I've every experienced ?? Maybe it's just the way I look at them but it makes my life fun. I always wanted to have my ashes poured into the L.S.U. lake where I grew up in the shadow of Death Valley (Tiger Stadium) & the university, sailed, fished & learned self relience !! But that's a whole other story.
Sorry bout' the book. Love the Red Oak idea,
Thanks for sharing,
Sincerely ....................
Thanks for sharing that. We both know who’s blessing you with those stories.

Like all the replies thanks. Well the transom hardware is ready for primerView attachment 117498 Took a lot longer than planned. The side brackets were full of corrosion. Really had to wire brush it to death to get it to shine. The long bracket across the bottom of the wood transom was difficult to wire brush. Tore my hand up pretty good with a wire brush but got it done. The inside of the flat plate had to be hand done. Still have some work on the inside were the gluvit ran View attachment 117499View attachment 117500View attachment 117502 Plan Tomorrow to smooth it out with orbit sander and 320 grit. Got the side ribs outside sanded and will coat it in black when done with the inside View attachment 117503 found a few mild runs and sanded them out on outside. Have plenty of blue paint left so no problem. Tired and a bit intoxicated but doing good.
Being tired sucks.........

He is a humble man. I believe the more knowledge or experience we have the more it adds to our common sense. Some times I wonder what happened to mine when I do a difficult task then later remember I did the same task a while back but a heck of a lot easier way.
That’s when my wife sees me talking to myself. You knew better than that etc. I think she gets a little worried.

Well we are ready to prime. IMG_1793.JPGIMG_1794.JPG Two Days of prep work and believe in the morning will move back into garage. Wire brushed aluminum and feathered gluvit in by sanding with 320 grit. Cleaned with over a dozen white rags and a gallon of acetone. In the morning will clean again with alcohol after it is in the shed. Should come out looking like a million bucks.The gluvit was way to slick to prime over plus it ran everywhere. Got all of that cleaned up. Dryvacuam before cleaning with the acetone. Man this is going to look sharp. My hands took a hit on this last stage IMG_1795.JPG Tore them up pretty good. Eat and go to bed early. Prime and paint day starts tomorrow.

Got the boat back in the shed and that was it for today. Woke up hurting and moving the boat did not help at all. Yesterday kicked my rear. Going to get a early start in the morning.
You have to rest today so you can do more tomorrow. At least that’s how my body is nowadays. Hope you wake up feeling ready to go sir.

Got the boat back in the shed and that was it for today. Woke up hurting and moving the boat did not help at all. Yesterday kicked my rear. Going to get a early start in the morning.
Do what you can, Sonny. You don't have to hurt yerself to get it done.

She'll be right there patiently waiting for you tomorrow. ;)

Going to get it done today. Crashed early last night and slept like a log. 60 degrees out so weather is going to be on my side today. Thinking I will wipe the boat down again with acetone then follow up with alcohol. The inside of boat is going to take some time to paint. A lot of cutting in around the seats and seat supports.