New guy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First coat of paint on. Using Total Boat Flat dark earth paint for aluminum. Glad I got the dark vice the Light earth paint. Figure it is going to take about three coats. Letting it set up prior to second coat. View attachment 117544View attachment 117545 About the same color as the mud around the lake so should make clean ups simple. Really have to spread thin due to the possibility of runs. Tired and worn out but can not stop now. To stop now and continue later would require sanding the last coat which is not something I want to do.
You’re a beast!

Third coat got done around 9:45 PM. Made for a very long day. Looks good. Now we are going to let the paint cure for about seven days. Then I need to prime top rail and paint it black. Plan on painting side ribs black. Touch up blue paint were we sanded out a few runs. Hopefully I can get the painting done prior to the weather turning. Need to prime and paint black the transom hardware. Then we can begin the woodwork.

Third coat got done around 9:45 PM. Made for a very long day. Looks good. Now we are going to let the paint cure for about seven days. Then I need to prime top rail and paint it black. Plan on painting side ribs black. Touch up blue paint were we sanded out a few runs. Hopefully I can get the painting done prior to the weather turning. Need to prime and paint black the transom hardware. Then we can begin the woodwork.
7 days cure time sounds like a bit of well deserved down time. My arthritic hands would appreciate it!

Second coat on.View attachment 117551View attachment 117552 One thing I'm noticing is as the paint cures the brush marks from cutting in disappear. It becomes smooth all over. Really impressed with this paint. Third coat may not be necessary but for what it's worth it is getting a third coat.
It's really looking good sonny1. Nice and smooth. I noticed the split lip above the transom w/a small section missing ?? I had a split in that alum. lip but had an alum. angle welded on full length from the gunnel handle to gunnel handle laid down w/ the vertical dropping on the inside. It really looks clean. What are your plans for it ? Will you leave the the section out and just install the Red Oak transom running through ??
Again, great job on the coats of paint. Looking great.

Attachments

• T2 repair angle.jpg
    T2 repair angle.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 0
  • T3 repair angle sanding.jpg
    T3 repair angle sanding.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 0
  • T4 s.jpg
    T4 s.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 2
Plan on putting it back in. Going to take a piece of red oak and Plane it down to about 3/8 and then router the edges. It will be slightly oversized so you will not see the plate. Outside plan on same. Four bolts run through the plate so mounting the pieces should not be a problem.

Made it out to the shed late Yesterday afternoon . Boat looks good. Just wanted to take second and say thanks to everyone on here. There is no way my boat would be in this condition without the knowledge gained on this site. This is my very first boat and really had no clue on how to go about fixing it. Studied Youtube videos and realized most were on crack when they made the video. Found this site and started reading. New post and old post both were very helpful in coming up with a game plan. Very confident this boat will suit my needs for the next 10 years or so.

Made it out to the shed late Yesterday afternoon . Boat looks good. Just wanted to take second and say thanks to everyone on here. There is no way my boat would be in this condition without the knowledge gained on this site. This is my very first boat and really had no clue on how to go about fixing it. Studied Youtube videos and realized most were on crack when they made the video. Found this site and started reading. New post and old post both were very helpful in coming up with a game plan. Very confident this boat will suit my needs for the next 10 years or so.
Of course gratitude comes from you. One of the most inspiring ppl I've seen online. The efforts & patients , the research and thoroughness in your work , the documentation (descriptions, photos, daily desires & why fors) & overall good example of how to approach an issue from 40,000 ft, as it were, to the mynute resolutions of the smallest details.
You inspire me !! You confirm my hope in man doing his best w/in the confines that surround him.
I SHOULD BE THANKING YOU SIR !!!
In general , we all stand on the shoulders of others before us. "Thanks" ?? Well, it is the way in which you apply the knowledge that is of the most import and proof of your gratitude. I myself have watched, noticed and seen it in every step of your path thus far !!
Great job and what a ride !! Thank you for your generosity !!
Sincerely .....................
God bless !!
P.S. I could have uttered the "short version" ....... No , thank you sir !! But, somehow, you deserve much more !!

Last edited:
Well done my old boat friend.............looks lie we are about ready to get some well deserved fishing time in this old girl now...........you have brought it back to life!!

Well done my old boat friend.............looks lie we are about ready to get some well deserved fishing time in this old girl now...........you have brought it back to life!!
Almost still need to prime and paint top rail black and side ribs black. All the hardware for the transom needs to be primed and painted black. Then we plan on placing Red Oak bench covers. Going to take the 3/4 down to 1/2 inch then router the edges. Simple half round edge should look good. Then mount via rivets. May go ahead and place a simple groove design on bench cover. still on the fence about that.

Almost still need to prime and paint top rail black and side ribs black. All the hardware for the transom needs to be primed and painted black. Then we plan on placing Red Oak bench covers. Going to take the 3/4 down to 1/2 inch then router the edges. Simple half round edge should look good. Then mount via rivets. May go ahead and place a simple groove design on bench cover. still on the fence about that.
Your getting down to the wire now my friend. Red Oak will be very pretty..........seems like a great choice of wood too.

Put in a day on my 1950 Alumacraft restoration yesterday myself. Sanded the hull by hand with 220 grit paper and wire brushed the entire inside followed up with a pressure cleaning of the hull inside and out. Have refinished the oars, the inner transom wood i restored and kept original to the boat and cut a new piece of white oak for the transom outside. All the wood is done so now to prepping the hull for paint.

Your getting down to the wire now my friend. Red Oak will be very pretty..........seems like a great choice of wood too.

Put in a day on my 1950 Alumacraft restoration yesterday myself. Sanded the hull by hand with 220 grit paper and wire brushed the entire inside followed up with a pressure cleaning of the hull inside and out. Have refinished the oars, the inner transom wood i restored and kept original to the boat and cut a new piece of white oak for the transom outside. All the wood is done so now to prepping the hull for paint.
Sounds like you're staying busy 👍 What kind of paint and primer?

I found a product on Amazon for the top rail. (white in my case) But it's like a thick medium soft cap that has really good 3M adhesive but I used the best bead of adhesive on it anyway. I thought it would keep the edge fresh looking for a very long time. You can purchase in different colors and widths. Our gunnels take 30mm :
https://tinyurl.com/42hf5nfc

I found a product on Amazon for the top rail. (white in my case) But it's like a thick medium soft cap that has really good 3M adhesive but I used the best bead of adhesive on it anyway. I thought it would keep the edge fresh looking for a very long time. You can purchase in different colors and widths. Our gunnels take 30mm :
That is interesting.

Going to get it done today. Crashed early last night and slept like a log. 60 degrees out so weather is going to be on my side today. Thinking I will wipe the boat down again with acetone then follow up with alcohol. The inside of boat is going to take some time to paint. A lot of cutting in around the seats and seat supports.
Let me ask you Sonny. Acetone to clean then alcohol to remove any film from the acetone. Am I correct? Because I’ve been using either one or the other on what little painting I’ve done.

Steph what’s the product called on Amazon? I clicked the link and it just opened an Amazon page with a bunch of different items.

Dust in fresh paint sucks big time. I like to wet the floor a bit before I spray...aint guna be perfect, but it definitely cuts down on extra bs time.
Good idea of wetting the floor I’ll remember that when I clean up my shop and get ready to paint mine. The way it is now if I paint something small I’ll wear a head lamp for extra light and last time could see dust particles floating in the air.

Well first coat of primer is onView attachment 117535View attachment 117536 Dry vacuumed the entire inside really good. Then wiped it down with acetone for the second time. After that wiped it down with alcohol. Primer went on smooth. Did cut it with the 200 thinner to allow the primer to flow more even. Due to cool temperature waiting for first coat to set before applying second coat. Really happy with the results from first coat. It is taking some time cutting it in and the rolling it out. Did discover I have more blue paint then I original thought which is good. Had four areas on the outside which had runs and sanded them out. Nothing major. Been at this since about 3:40 am.
Man that’s looking good. Your inspiring me to do a way better job on mine than I have planned.

Aluminum primer by Total Boat and Aluminum Topside flat paint by Total boat. Outside primed with the same painted with AF aluminum Paint by Total Boat. Very expensive paint but well worth it. The paint cost more than what the boat is worth. I have spent a lot of money and time restoring my Wife's dead brothers boat. I really liked the guy so yes it has a lot of sentimental value.
Total Boat makes great top notch stuff. I used their epoxy for redoing some patch work I found on mine. Also my UNTREATED 15/32 plywood flooring is treated with Total Boat penetrating epoxy every edge and hole I drilled. I capitalized untreated because I found 3/4” treated in it and had a lot of corrosion abatement to do. Bad chemical reaction. 15/32” (since you can’t by full 1/2” thick anymore) plywood on top of 2” foam board and the floor is as solid and light weight as they come.

Sonny you’re talking about the gentleman that proved everyone wrong about there being catfish in a certain lake aren’t you?

That’s the reason I’m not giving up on the local bass lake here. Since you told me that I’m going to eventually find them and prove them wrong. Next thing I’m trying is letting it get colder here in Texas and since it’s a power plant lake I’ll be hanging around the warm water discharge in my insulated clothes.