New Member Introductions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 68’ 16’ Starcraft Seafarer with a Johnson 28SPL for under $500 about a month ago. After cleaning out the 5 years of being stored outside and rebuilding the carburetor, I was on Clear Lake fishing for walleye.

I have replaced the trailer tires because they were dry rotted and engine battery.

Recently I have been dealing with the forward seat brackets that are broken and need fabricated and replaced so I can keep the boat balanced with three people.

I enjoy the mods and can spend a lot to do upgrades, but will wait until after summer/fall fishing season.
I am looking for replaced the side console and the steering cable and pulley system with steering cable.
I also want to paint both the interior and exterior hull this winter.
I look forward to reading the old posts and learning this new hobby.

Greetings for Quebec, Canada. Great little slice of the web here at Tin Boats, thanks for having me. I am presently awaiting delivery of my Alumacraft jon boat (Sierra series, haven't decided between 12 and 14 foot), but I am not a totally newbie. I had a 16 foot Princecraft V hull with a 25HP Merc and before that a 10 foot fibreglass rowboat with a 3HP Johnson.

We are now on an electric only lake with a maximum depth of 3.5 meter so a jon boat should fit the bill. I already have a Minn Kota trolling motor so I figure I'll run my new tin boat this summer then decide what modifications I want to do.

Looking forward to contributing when / where I can!

Hi all,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm in the process of transferring my grandfathers aluminum 1972 Sears 14' boat to my name. It was my inheritance along with a 73 Evinrude 18hp that runs like a top and moves the boat pretty good!

Does anyone have any literature on these boats?

The boat is in pretty good shape, no leaks and transom is solid, but needs some small things done on it. A few items on the list are:

- Find a threaded drain plug. It has had those flimsy rubber Walmart Plugs and they don't always seal well on the threaded hole. I'm not sure of the thread size yet.
- Install new foam under the seats
- Install a new transom pad as the old one is deteriorated from sun
- Clean the oxidization from the aluminum. The boat has spent some winters turned upside down near the shoreline of lake and the iron in the water has stained it.
- Decide what to do with the inside bottom of the boat. It was painted at one point, but that is all worn away and the bottom is pretty slick. What do others typically do for these? A non-stick epoxy?

I also have a 57 Johnson Seahorse 7.5 that I have from my other grandfather to go with it as well. Motor runs good, just not as fast as the 18hp!

Hey chadzeilenga....

Good to have you on board and part of the TinBoats family. You'll love it here.

Use the "search" option that you can find in the upper right hand corner and you'll find answers to some of the questions you already ask. There are month and months worth of reading here.

kilogulf59 said:
Howdy All,

Ken here from Juneau Co. WI. I'm not a boat owner...yet :lol:

Howdy Ken....good to have you as part of our TinBoats family. You're gonna love it here...even if you don't have a tin...yet.

Thanks and I already do...I have been nosing around a bit already.

Not an owner yet but the anchorman/boatswain's-mate on my buddy's 16-foot Smoker Craft...she's an oldie but a well taken care of and highly used oldie...

w5y64564.jpg

Hey friends , my name is Steve , I live in Mountain view Mo. , I just bought my first tin boat about a week ago , it's a 15 ft. 1967 Rich Line semi Vhull in perfect condition , I paid $300.00for it . I took it out yesterday to a community lake , I had my wife ,daughter , myself and my full grown bloodhound dog with me , I was using a 50 lb minkota trolling motor that pushed the boat fairy well considering the weight that we had in it . I have a 5.5 hp Evinrude to put on it that I had overhauled and put up for the last 7 years because I didn't have anything big enough to take the weight . This is my very first Tin boat(I've always wanted one ) I plan on keeping it stock , It didn't leak even a thimble full of water yesterday and we had her out all day . I'll put pics of her on later . Oh I am using my old trailer that I used to haul my 16 ft glass tri hull on so it should hold up nice . I love the wealth of info and the comrodarie on here , thanks for excepting me as a member .

daddue11 said:
Hey friends , my name is Steve , I live in Mountain view Mo. , I just bought my first tin boat about a week ago , it's a 15 ft. 1967 Rich Line semi Vhull in perfect condition , I paid $300.00for it . I took it out yesterday to a community lake , I had my wife ,daughter , myself and my full grown bloodhound dog with me , I was using a 50 lb minkota trolling motor that pushed the boat fairy well considering the weight that we had in it . I have a 5.5 hp Evinrude to put on it that I had overhauled and put up for the last 7 years because I didn't have anything big enough to take the weight . This is my very first Tin boat(I've always wanted one ) I plan on keeping it stock , It didn't leak even a thimble full of water yesterday and we had her out all day . I'll put pics of her on later . Oh I am using my old trailer that I used to haul my 16 ft glass tri hull on so it should hold up nice . I love the wealth of info and the comrodarie on here , thanks for excepting me as a member .

Hey Steve.....welcome to the Tinboat family. You're gonna love it here. It's also good to have another Missourian on board. Mountain View is a great location, not far from lots of great waters.

Hi. I am Corning ,NY .I retired in Jan of this year .I just bought a 1988 SF14 w/1962 tee nee trailer and a 1992 Evinrude 15 hp. Have been looking at some of the boats here and how they have been changing them there way .I have noticed that a few people have used aluminum angle ,square tube to make a frame for there floors .I think this is a good idea keeps the weight down.

Hi, I'm in Appomattox, Va. I'm a 27 year old sheet metal mechanic with a fishing addiction. Fishing out of an old 14ft smoker craft semi-v with only a minkota 40lb. Refurbished the trailer last year, currently debating wether or not to mod the boat or upgrade to a larger one as it's a little small for two people I find, and my wife always goes fishing with me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Long time lurker first time poster :LOL2: . Going to be doing a front deck build this weekend for my 16ft naden boat. i'll be sure to post some progress photos.

Glad you finally came to your senses whytie. :LOL2:

Good to have you as an "official" part of the family. Looking forward to the photos.

Latest posts