New Skiff with Outboard Jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenextlevel

Reaction score
I just picked up a new Hog Island SW16 skiff with a Yamaha 40/30 jet. For those of you that don't know about these boats they are made out of the same material as a Yeti cooler. Lightweight, quiet, and virtually indestructible. The boat will be used for river fishing. I got it set up with oars and casting stations. I ran the boat over the weekend and am very impressed with how it performs. I am coming from a older model 16 foot stick steer inboard jet jon with a 60hp 2 stroke motor. The motor seems to have plenty of power for the boat. The mechanic who put it on clocked it at 26 MPH with two people in it. It jumped from a dead stop to being on plane in about 5 seconds. I didn't test it's shallow water abilities but will soon once I get more comfortable with it. I am certainly enjoying the 4 stroke fuel injected motor over my old 2 stroke for sure!

Attachments

• IMG_2379.JPG
    IMG_2379.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 5,879
  • IMG_2382.JPG
    IMG_2382.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 5,879
These boats are awesome. I'm between this one and the towee. I trout fish several different rivers and I have one River that I fish that I can't take my current jet on. I'm going to buy one of the 2 boats for that river. Let me know how you like it. I love the set up!

i have same moter 40/30 Yamaha four stroke and love it.She is on 1648 alumacraft square nose jon and she runs grate.I keep it light with one big deep cycle battery and she outruns the 40hp Mercurys four stroke.I like your boat too but steemboat Colarado is long ways to get one as im from Michigan.I go hunting out there tho :mrgreen:

I had mine shipped to Charlotte NC. I looked hard at the the towee. What ended up swaying me to the hog was what it is made of. I don't have to worry about damaging the boat itself. I'll be out again in out Sunday and will let you know how she does

I haven't done an exact calculation but about $16,000. That includes the boat, trailer, oars and accessories, motor with extended warranty and shipping to Charlotte. I ran the boat again on Sunday and am very pleased with how it performs. It tops out around 25-26 MPH and jumps on plane in around 5 seconds. I was running through water that would have tore up a outboard with no issues. I feel like the motor has plenty of power for this boat.

thats good speed for that size of boat with the 40/30 yamaha.Those motors are very nice , i really like mine.
I will be calling them up about their boats after the first of the year.I own my motor and have a trailer that the boat would fit on real good.I dont know for sure if i really want to spend the money on a new boat tho

I run a Towee with a 30/20 Johnson and am very happy with it, fully loaded with one angler up stream I can just touch 24. I can run what many consider kayak only creeks in my area.
heathyoung said:
These boats are awesome. I'm between this one and the towee. I trout fish several different rivers and I have one River that I fish that I can't take my current jet on. I'm going to buy one of the 2 boats for that river. Let me know how you like it. I love the set up!

I run a Towee with a 30/20 Johnson and am very happy with it, fully loaded with one angler up stream I can just touch 24. I can run what many consider kayak only creeks in my area.
heathyoung said:

Attachments

• 20140722_134300.jpg
    20140722_134300.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 5,706
I'm looking at the exact same set up.

I too am between this and a Towee. However, this seems to give me more versatility when it comes to lakes as well. One question. I have though is how does the thing row?

love the looks and layout of this skiff... have never heard of the "hog",, going to have to check them out... looks perfect for the creeks and coves in my area

It rows OK. It's rows well enough to back row and keep straight against the current and make some maneuvers. It's not something I would try and row through technical waters though. I use it to chase stripers in a local lake near me and it does well. Outboard jets are not the best for lake use but it gets the job done. This thing really shines on the river

Interesting rig. What was the wait time? Could you post a pick of the interior and also how far the jet foot goes below the hull? I assume a jet tunnel hull was not an option? Was pedestal seating an option and a bracket for a bow mount trolling motor?

I'd like to add to this, what I know.......

While I do not have this boat, I have been very interested in it. I have done a ton of research, which also included phoning Hog Island and speaking to the owner about the boat and some of its capabilities. For my needs and for what I am looking to accomplish, without having two completely different boats, this boat provides the best combination. Needless to say, I will be ordering one i the next few months!