New to Bow mount trolling motors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerdog

Reaction score
I've always had a transom trolling motor when I used one. (usually rowed here at home)

Anyway, I've been looking at the minn kota power drive II with the I-pilot.

If I buy before May 1st you can get a $50 rebate. (I'm cheap, or tight.. one of the two)

Problem is I won't have the boat by then to measure.

Anyone have one of these that can tell me how it's set up?

Would I be safe just buying the longest shaft? Is there a way to raise it up if I had too?

I've never really even looked at a front mount before to see how they are set up when deployed.

Thanks Sam

I recently installed the 55lb thrust power drive i pilot on my boat. Its a 1860 CC grizzly. These motors install and deploy different than most bow trolling motors. When installed they require about 6" over the side of the boat. They do not deploy or stow as easily as the standard bow mounts. The big difference is the options they have over most TMs. The auto pilot,tracking etc. are great features not offered on standard TMs. I mostly troll for crappies making this the ideal motor for my applications. If I were a bass only fisherman,, I dont think this would be the right motor, I would not want to stow and deploy 50 times a day. I also purchaced the MinnKota quick release mounting bracket. This offers a way to lock the motor or remove for safe storage quickly. I actually purchaced 2 of the brackets. 1 is mounted on the front deck so it can be stored securly inside the boat. Mine is the 48" shaft and I still have a extra 12" or so of adjustment.Ive only had the new motor out maby 6 times, I am very impressed with it. It seems to do exactly what they claim. Hope this helps. I bought mine about a week before the rebate, figures. Cabelas offered free shipping and no sales tax because they dont have a retail store in my state. Best of luck. River

I put a PowerDrive 55 on my Naden 3 years, maybe 4 years ago. Wish the MK's would deploy easier. Gotta keep the shaft slick with ArmourAll spray. Mine sits over the edge bit, but not as far as yours might. I had to add a carpeted deck for that motor. Also has room for the nav light and gps antenna. Wish mine had the rope to easily drop motor over the side. I put the Co-Pilot accessory on mine and use the remote, trolling slowly from the back of the boat. Good luck with your purchase!!!

Latest posts