Newbie with newbie questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tontofisher

Reaction score
First off, AWESOME SITE. I got word last week that I would be given a 10 footer along with a 5hp motor and trailer (old family friends). I'm headed out tomorrow to pick it all up, trailer isn't road worth and the motor hasn't been run in at least 5 years. Which brings me to my question. The motor has been in the garage for at least 5 years and there is still gas in the tank. Other than draining it and then rebuilding the carb, is there anything else you guys would suggest? I figured I would drain the tank and check to see if the motor is seized and then assuming it isn't rebuild the carb. I do all my own mechanic work on my cars and lawnmowers but this will be my first boat motor. Anything I should definately do or not do?

Good start. To add to the list for the motor:

-New spark plugs.
-Change out the lower unit oil.
-If you get it running, shut it down right away and change out the water pump.

If others can add to the list, please do.

Sounds like you'll have a nice little boat for the right price. Upload some pics when you get it. What kind of fishing are you planning to do with it?

i did exactly what clark said. although i was told the motor hasnt been run in little over a year. i rebuilt carb (well mechanic did) changed impeller and lower unit lube, and spark plugs.

Awesome, as far as difficulty, is the water pump that hard? (the impeller and water pump are the same thing right?)

tontofisher said:
Awesome, as far as difficulty, is the water pump that hard? (the impeller and water pump are the same thing right?)
the impeller is the water pump, but the water pump housing that covers the impeller might need to be changed if its damaged. and yea its not very difficult at all

Post model number and make of motor, so we can help identify the year. From there much better recommendations can be given as far as repair and maintenance....etc etc.

Oh, post a picture of the motor as well if you can.

Well I picked them up late saturday night and forgot to take pictures. I get busy every time I think about it, but I'm putting a reminder to myself to do it when I get home today. The boat is in awesome shape, the motor looks good, but I haven't tried to turn it yet [-o< , the trailer is still functional, needs new tires and a major paint scraping. I'm camping this weekend but hopefully I can get a day or two to work on it this week before I go.

Latest posts