Night fishing and lighting question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dockside85

Reaction score
Ok so I am trying to get some clarification on something. Around where I live I see a lot of jons with offroad lights on the bow of the boat, almost like headlamps. After looking into Coast Guard regs (just to reinforce what I already assumed) it's not legal to have these lit up while underway. So if you cannot use them while you are underway I would assume they are just for illumination while fishing, but while most guys don't cast straight out in front of the bow, I don't think that would be very practical. Can someone clue me in on what people use these for? I'd actually like to have a couple lights mounted that I can swivel out to the sides for night fishing but I just don't want to get in trouble. I've been told that even using a trolling motor at night to slowly crawl along a bank means you are "underway", so no lights other than nav lights can be used. Any clarification?

I believe these people are shooting fish (gar, carp, etc...) with a bow and arrow. The arrow is attached to a short, stout fishing pole which is then reeled in. They sneak up on fish at night when the fish are in shallow water. They usually creep along with the trolling motor using the lights to find the fish. I have never done this and I imagine it takes a good bit of skill to shoot a fish a few feet under water with a bow and arrow.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323066#p323066 said:
bird35 » 3 minutes ago[/url]"]I believe these people are shooting fish (gar, carp, etc...) with a bow and arrow. The arrow is attached to a short, stout fishing pole which is then reeled in. They sneak up on fish at night when the fish are in shallow water. They usually creep along with the trolling motor using the lights to find the fish. I have never done this and I imagine it takes a good bit of skill to shoot a fish a few feet under water with a bow and arrow.

I mean I've seen bowfishing rigs, they usually have a large elevated platform on the boat. I see these lights on smaller jon rigs definitely not set up for bowfishing. Just curious at to what else they are used for if not bowfishing.

I have been reading the crappie fishing websites and I see night fishing for crappie is very popular esp. in Georgia. I read that the best fishing is on the perimeter of the light so some guys light either the front or back of the boat and fish off the middle. Just a guess.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323079#p323079 said:
bird35 » 15 minutes ago[/url]"]I have been reading the crappie fishing websites and I see night fishing for crappie is very popular esp. in Georgia. I read that the best fishing is on the perimeter of the light so some guys light either the front or back of the boat and fish off the middle. Just a guess.

Bingo!

Boats aren't cars. They do not and should not have "headlights" of any sort. There are really only 2 lights your jon boat should have; red/green navigation lights, covering a total of 225 degrees (112.5 degrees each) either as a single unit mounted on the bow, or individually on either side, and an all white stern/anchor light which is visible in 360 degrees. The nav lights and white stern light are to be on at all times after sunset while underway. However, only the white stern light should be on when at anchor. While you are allowed a spot light in your boat it is only to be used for very brief periods of time to help you avoid floating debris in the water, or to round a blind bend. Using "headlights" is not only dangerous to other folks on the water, as they can't see your nav lights and therefore deterring your port and starboard sides, but it actually decreases the visibility of the person driving both boats. Instead, you should use as little light as possible and allow your eyes to adjust to the darkness. It may take up to 1 hour to adjust fully. If you need any supplementary light use a low powered LED in the red spectrum and/or go full pirate and use an eye patch over one eye, which can help your night vision a bit as well. Unfortunately, many manufacturers are either purposefully, or willingly ignorant of the regulations and will add spot lights to the bow any way, however this does not make it correct/legal. I find that builders tend to market these types of mods to inland boaters and hunters who may be less familiar with USCG regulations. You'll never see a builder try to do that in the marine industry. They'd be laughed out of the business overnight. Although, there are some very high end marine builders that make rookie mistakes as well.

I have heard of folks that put these on as "docking lights". Haven't ever been in a boat with them installed, so no first-hand experience.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323102#p323102 said:
kfa4303 » Yesterday, 10:43[/url]"]Boats aren't cars. They do not and should not have "headlights" of any sort. There are really only 2 lights your jon boat should have; red/green navigation lights, covering a total of 225 degrees (112.5 degrees each) either as a single unit mounted on the bow, or individually on either side, and an all white stern/anchor light which is visible in 360 degrees. The nav lights and white stern light are to be on at all times after sunset while underway. However, only the white stern light should be on when at anchor. While you are allowed a spot light in your boat it is only to be used for very brief periods of time to help you avoid floating debris in the water, or to round a blind bend. Using "headlights" is not only dangerous to other folks on the water, as they can't see your nav lights and therefore deterring your port and starboard sides, but it actually decreases the visibility of the person driving both boats. Instead, you should use as little light as possible and allow your eyes to adjust to the darkness. It may take up to 1 hour to adjust fully. If you need any supplementary light use a low powered LED in the red spectrum and/or go full pirate and use an eye patch over one eye, which can help your night vision a bit as well. Unfortunately, many manufacturers are either purposefully, or willingly ignorant of the regulations and will add spot lights to the bow any way, however this does not make it correct/legal. I find that builders tend to market these types of mods to inland boaters and hunters who may be less familiar with USCG regulations. You'll never see a builder try to do that in the marine industry. They'd be laughed out of the business overnight. Although, there are some very high end marine builders that make rookie mistakes as well.

Great answer and if you do not understand ...Go outside on a dark night let eyes adjust for a while tell you can see.. Then shine a flash light into your eyes for a few sec..Then look around..You can't see Anything.

Headlights and spotlights can be used legally to safely navigate waterways per CG regs. The lights cannot be mistaken for nav lights or obscure you nav nights. They cannot be used continuously like you would headlights in a car.

A lot of your concern is going to be related to where you are on the water and the expected traffic around you.

Hand held spotlight for instant condition checks...

My white anchor light is bright enough to troll by, nav lights are almost. At speed at night I run the reflection path from the powerplant lights or the moon reflection. Use the spot light as needed to avoid idiots.

I'v almost T boned 2 blacked out jons when I had my old glass boat. Any light is a good light under those conditions and I didn't get any flack when I gave them both a tongue lashing for stupidity.

im planning to rig up 2 lights for night fishing.... on a dark lake or bay, it doesnt take much light...im thinking of just using the clamp on painters lights...just change the bulbs out to 12v bulbs...

remember when navigating using headlights or a spotlight can actually hinder you... itll take longer for your eyes to adjust looking for obstacles or fishing spots or whatever outside the beams of light...

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323102#p323102 said:
kfa4303 » 21 Jul 2013, 08:43[/url]"]Boats aren't cars. They do not and should not have "headlights" of any sort. There are really only 2 lights your jon boat should have; red/green navigation lights, covering a total of 225 degrees (112.5 degrees each) either as a single unit mounted on the bow, or individually on either side, and an all white stern/anchor light which is visible in 360 degrees. The nav lights and white stern light are to be on at all times after sunset while underway. However, only the white stern light should be on when at anchor. While you are allowed a spot light in your boat it is only to be used for very brief periods of time to help you avoid floating debris in the water, or to round a blind bend. Using "headlights" is not only dangerous to other folks on the water, as they can't see your nav lights and therefore deterring your port and starboard sides, but it actually decreases the visibility of the person driving both boats. Instead, you should use as little light as possible and allow your eyes to adjust to the darkness. It may take up to 1 hour to adjust fully. If you need any supplementary light use a low powered LED in the red spectrum and/or go full pirate and use an eye patch over one eye, which can help your night vision a bit as well. Unfortunately, many manufacturers are either purposefully, or willingly ignorant of the regulations and will add spot lights to the bow any way, however this does not make it correct/legal. I find that builders tend to market these types of mods to inland boaters and hunters who may be less familiar with USCG regulations. You'll never see a builder try to do that in the marine industry. They'd be laughed out of the business overnight. Although, there are some very high end marine builders that make rookie mistakes as well.
X2 on the Great Answer Award.

If you want a fishing light, get one that stays low to the water and shines only INTO the water.
If you want light to illuminate the interior of the boat keep it below the gunwales and make it red.
If you want to light your way while underway, get a spot light and use it as needed.

But using "headlights" here (SC), will get you a citation if the DNR boys are near. Do it at your own risk