NOCO BOOST Review

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I was finally able to use the NOCO GB30 Jump starter I purchased for emergency use, if interested, you can read the article here: https://www.tinboats.net/noco-boost-review/

Im still fuming. :LOL2:

Oh man. I came in here expecting a good review. I reckon ill be knocking this one off my wish list.

Well that's disappointing. I have a noco genious 2 bank 8 amp on both of my boats and they performed flawlessly all summer. I wouldn't have guessed another of their products would be such a dud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may have worked if you let it sit for an hour or two connected to the dead battery. The amps needed to start a vehicle is too great for the small wires they use on the clamps. Starter motors use a lot of amps to spin motors over. I have seen wire ends and terminals melted from trying to start a vehicle if the connections are loose. If the connection is loose you are sending a a lot of amps through the loose connection creating heat that can damage your wires, terminals and even burn down your vehicle in a worse case scenario. If you had let it sit it may have slow charged the battery to a point that it would be able to help the primary battery a little when you do crank it over. I see other manufacturers trying to sell starter packs you plug into the cigarette receptacle also. They neglect to mention that some vehicles now have diodes that prevent power from from coming back into the vehicle through that receptacle.

Jim, I have the exact same model. Luckily the State of Florida purchased it, and it was not my own money. I too have been very disappointed with this POS. I never read the instructions for it...It only takes a tiny bit of common sense to hook one of these things up properly. But now a days, it seems everything has safety features and it made to be what I call "dummy proof".

That being said, I'm convinced that this model is equipped with some sort of safety feature that prevents current from being sent to the cables when they're plugged in, until it's ready to be used. I've attempted to jump several pieces of equipment, including ATV's, trucks, and boats with no luck. My theory is, that it must sense some sort of voltage in order for it to kick on. In other words, if your battery is nearly dead, or completely dead, you're SOL. Isn't that the reason DO NOT WASTE YOURE MONEY ON THIS PRODUCT!!!

After writing this response I decided to do a quick YouTube search. Here's an instructional video on how to use it. https://youtu.be/q7xWhyr-dDI

I did leave the NOCO attached to the battery for 20+ minutes while waiting for AAA to show up.

Mine never "chased" when I turned it on after hooking up the clamps. In fairness to NOCO, I never held down the "boost" button for 3 seconds like stated in the video. But when the tow guy came with his battery jump starter, he attached it to the battery and it fired right up.

FWIW I got the Walmart off-brand, now made by Stanley, 700 amp jump starter former Xmas years ago, picture as shown.

Even when the charge state is showing 'green' ... it hasn't started a dead car yet! Wot the ...??

So I use it for auxiliary power, like phone charging or using the built-in LED light. I once drained the battery down before recharging it and charged a few other 12VDC cigarette lighter charged items, like 1-million CP searchlight and such, as well as all of our phones and the LED light still stayed on for weeks, so as far as emergency 12V power use, at least I can get some utility out of it.

Disappointing though, as the cables are so much beefier than the one you used ...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 942
That sucks!! I have a 2 bank NOCO Genius on my boat and love it.

I got the below from Amazon earlier this year when my wife was having to drive 90 miles one way for work. Wanted her to be able to keep it in her car in case she needed a jump. Didn't want her having to hang around and ask for one in Baltimore City if her battery was dead. I throw it in the boat when fishing in case my starting battery dies. One morning when trying to start my truck for work the battery was dead. I pulled this little jump starter from my boat and it cranked my truck right up. Also started it again on the way to work when I had to stop for gas. After those 2 jumps it still had 75% power. I charged it at work on my computer (it uses a micro USB charger. same as a cell phone) and it proceeded to jump my truck 3 or 4 more times while I stopped at several auto parts stores looking for a battery. The description says it will jump up to a 2.5L engine, but it had no problems with my 5.4L V8.

https://amzn.to/2iWkOWZ