North Fork Composites

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shfishinsticks

Reaction score
This past weekend, I attended/worked a booth at the International Custom Rod Building Exposition (ICRBE) in High Point, NC. We sold Batson, St. Croix and North Fork blanks and various other rod building components. I currently fish St. Croix and Batson rods, but no North Fork. Since we sell 'em, I figured that I better acquire one so I can talk intelligently about them.

My preferred method of fishing is dropshot, so I chose model DS 6107-1(IM). It is 6'10", 1pc Mag Light power, X-Fast action. Rated 4-8# line and 1/8-3/8 oz lure. The first thing I noticed when I picked it up was it's weight, or lack thereof. I had to throw it on a scale to see how light it was. It's 1.52oz. My favorite St. Croix blank (5S69MLXF) weighed in at 1.71oz., and I thought that was light. The St. Croix is rated at 6-10# line and 1/8-1/2oz. lure, so that probably explains the weight difference. Until I get them side by side, I won't know the power difference.

First impressions: I like the feel of it. We'll let the Erie smallies make the final verdict.

Stay tuned for updates and pics as I turn this blank in to a fishing tool.

While waiting for some parts for other rods to come in, I decided to sneak in some time for MY NFC. Here's the grip and reel seat assembly for your viewing pleasure.

IMG_20110312_151402.jpg

IMG_20110312_151434.jpg

IMG_20110312_151520.jpg

Update on the North Fork. Finally got the rest of the parts. Want to try to knock it out this week so I can test drive it in Erie next weekend.

IMG_20110511_175038.jpg

I finally finished the NFC and had a chance to field test it on some Erie smallies in June. My initial impression was correct. This rod is lighter in power than rods I typically dropshot with, but it did not lack the power to boat some 4# and 5# smallies. Overall finished weight of the rod is 2.94 oz. Couple that with the 7oz CI-4 and the combo comes in under 10oz....a touch over 10 oz with the composite cork reel handle and line.

Blank: NFC DS 6107-1(IM)
Guides: Fuji TYSG 25, 16, 8, TLSG 4 & MCAT4.5-4.5
Hook Keep: Pac Bay Ti/Ch hooklatch
Reel Seat: Fuji 17mm Skeleton (Cobra finish)
Grips: CG-1 Natural & light & burnt burl composite
Thread: Gudebrod nylon Charcoal with Pewter metallic inlays and red metallic trim
Finish: Threadmaster Light and Threadmaster Hi
Decal: Decal Connection peel & stick

SHFISH0067.jpg

SHFISH0007.jpg

SHFISH0061.jpg

SHFISH0015.jpg

SHFISH0001.jpg

SHFISH0004.jpg

SHFISH0057.jpg

SHFISH0052.jpg

SHFISH0023.jpg

SHFISH0018.jpg

How does that rod throw and handle fish? I was thinkin about buying a blank for a new 12wt for offshore poons and sailfish. Let me know...