old beat up 16 Lowe convert to duck boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtwarrow

Reaction score
Okay guys, this is my mod. Probably not the cleanest or most interesting, but its what I could afford. Basically I am taking this 150 dollar beat up lowe flatbottom and building a duck boat. Plan is to put a front deck on it for storage and a dog platform. Camo, New transom, Motor, a blind and a bench seat to hunt from.

I also needed to mod the trailer a bit. Lights and bunks.

Here is what I started with...IMG00480-20100909-0900.jpg

I like your camo simply but effective. Did you make your own stencil?

Thanks! Yeah, just used some foam sheets and cut out some patterns. It's not bad I guess. Was just a test but I think it will be good enough for this year duck hunting.
Got a 15 Horse Evinrude that is old yesterday. Free motor so no complaints, but the bottom cylinder was rusted.... Was able to get it moving again but I doubt the compression in that cylinder will be up to par. We shall see. But free is feee and I'm betting I can get it to run... I'll just take trolling motor and oars with me when it's cold out just in case.

dtwarrow said:
transom.not to easy to fix, but I'm workingon it.
When I replaced my transom I removed the corner caps and straightened out the top. I then slid the new transom wood in one piece and re-bent the aluminum over.

More pics... I worked on the boat for a few hours tonight.put the trailer lights on and the headlights on. Fire extinguisher.. headlight switch. battery in the boat. made a camo engine cover from a canvas cover from an older boat.
I like the way the deck props up toallow accessto the battery/ storage areaimg168.jpg

Attachments

• img169.jpg
    img169.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 5,144
  • img171.jpg
    img171.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 5,144
more picsimg172.jpgimg173.jpg

Attachments

• img175.jpg
    img175.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 5,141
  • img174.jpg
    img174.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 5,141
  • img179.jpg
    img179.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 5,141
more...

Attachments

• img177.jpg
    img177.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 5,140
  • img176.jpg
    img176.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 5,140
  • img180.jpg
    img180.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 5,140
Okay, I gave pics, now I’ll babble on for a few….
I know it looks very messy right now… cause it is… But I’ll be taking off everything and either borrowing the neighbors power washer or taking it to a self car wash to get the dirt out of the inside. Not sanding in there… but will wipe it with acetone. Then I’ll give it a coat of the self-etching primer that is a decent OD color. I MAY put in a plywood floor, but I might not.. If not I’ll probably use some flat black on the floor. Thought about the spray on truck bed liner, but I’m betting that stuff won’t work real well out of a rattle can and I am not going into the whole roller thing. I’m going cheapo here so not getting carpet yet unless I find some free.
I was thinking about flipping it over, wire wheel rivets and spot on some JB weld just in case. They all seem real tight and I was told there are zero leaks, but you never know till there is water in it or under it… I did see one rivet on the side that had an anvil mark on it so maybe that was the only leak and he fixed it that way.
Steelflex is out for now… Cheapo me… Although that was my original plan. So I kinda figured just JB weld any areas that even remotely look like they might leak… I know it’s not the best idea… but it should work??? I hope??? Just to keep any leaks at bay…???

I have to wire the trailer lights and the headlights and was thinking about getting some led interior lights too. I will leave the Baja lights @ 55 watts instead of getting some 100 watt bulbs. I have a Q beam spot / flood light that will help when running in the dark so I’m not worried about that. I don’t plan on trying to run real far and fast in the dark.

This old Rude needs a gas tank and hose that gets pressurized. Assuming I can get it running in the first place… would putting the gas tank up front be too much of an issue with the pressure tank? How hard is it and how expensive to run gas line from the front to back? I’d rather have the gas up front for the weight along with the batteries. If not no big deal…

Still have half the boat to paint and there is so much gunk caked to it I was planning to wire wheel it as well. That’s what I did to the first side. But it takes a heck of a lot of time. If I wash it and acetone clean… will the self etching primer be enough that I don’t need to sand / wire wheel it? I’d really like to just paint it and not take all that time. If I were going to use steelflex on bottom I would use the wire wheel, but this is just paint…. Thanks for any comments on that…

So the blind is the only other big thing I need to work on besides the motor. All I can say is I will make it right for me… Other than that, the options are limitless…. I know how it will be framed. I’m just not sure about the blind material itself. I have some canvas (same as that motor cover I sprayed camo) that might work, but it’s not waterproof. Maybe I could spray it camo and then with camp spray waterproofing? Would be heavy though…
I was thinking of using a tarp (the plasticy pvc kind at lowes and wallyworld – usually blue or brown or silver) as a backing and spraying some flat brown on it, then camo burlap, netting and brush… I just want a wind / rain blocker and netting with raffia grass and other brush… I’ll have to work that all out…

Thanks for looking and any help is appreciated. I love this site! I’m planning on getting a deep V in the spring and converting it into an amazing catfishing machine. I like the camo and mud and beat up old boat, but I really want to do some shiny painting and comfortable seats.
Thanks again and more to come..

I've never had one that had a pressurized tank, so I don't know what's involved. It might need twice as much hose if it has to have a return line or something. I'm sure regular fuel line would be fine. Don't expect it is a very high pressure. With a regular tank, it's easy and cheap. You just buy some 5/16 hose and extend the lines from a standard tank putting the primer bulb at the back. I'd also use one of those inline transparent filters near the engine. Do you have to get a special tank?

I believe the gas tank is preasurized via a bike pump... So iys just one of those older ones you put air in so it pushes the gas out... I think...

Well I finished up the camo on one side and it is hella dark. Looks cool, but too dark... I may go ahead and try to stencil a grass pattern to lighten it up and see what happens with that.

You should not have any trouble with the pressure tank being so far. They are expensive though, because they are so hard to find now a days. They have a pump built in that primes the carb, then the motor pressurizes the tank as it runs. If you find one u will probably need a rebuild kit for it. They also use a special hose. Its a dual line type that has two hoses molded together.

I'll send you a PM with some more info.

I found several of those tanks for sale on the Bay. Sent you PM with link to the nicest one. This is not it but shows the dual hose setup.

Attachments

• Tank1.jpg
    Tank1.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 2,023