old beat up 16 Lowe convert to duck boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can convert the motor to use a fuel pump with a newer tank and single fuel line.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
You can convert the motor to use a fuel pump with a newer tank and single fuel line.

From what I have read, and at least in Texas, it is against the law to run electric fuel pumps on these type of old motors solely due to the fact that if the line becomes dis-lodged, or you sink the boat, or whatever happens... that electric fuel pump will not shut off and will empty the contents of the tank into the lake... I thought about doing the exact thing and spoke with a GameWarden about it and he told me I would get a ticket everytime a warden saw that set up. So... if you decide to do it... be extra sneaky and hide it well....

On another note any old style tank like that one has a diaphram in it and when you buy that tank if the diaphram has not recently been replaced you need to replace it..... the diaphram costs about $40 and isn't too bad to replace. My $0.02....

Well, I'm not at the motor portion of my boat just yet. But please keep sending the info and advise. THANKS.

I cut out a couple grass stencils tonight, made the missus and kids help me hold them against the boat and sprayed a decent pattern on it. I personally think it looks darn good, but I have not been able to get the pics from my phone for some reason. I'll try again and see if I can post them. Then I had to grill some chops and eat, so thats all I got done tonight. I'll probably look at the motor this weekend.
I do have a Johnson 9.9 but it's a longtail. Id rather get this thing running and use it than build a jack plate or build up the transom.. or ?????? whatever else I would need to do to get it to fit the small Lowe transom.
Mean time I will work on everything else...
Thanks again guys.

Ah... finally got them to work... Here is the camo...camo .jpegboat .jpeg

Attachments

• boat camo .jpeg
    boat camo .jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 1,970
Tettle07 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

From what I have read, and at least in Texas, it is against the law to run electric fuel pumps on these type of old motors solely due to the fact that if the line becomes dis-lodged, or you sink the boat, or whatever happens... that electric fuel pump will not shut off and will empty the contents of the tank into the lake... I thought about doing the exact thing and spoke with a GameWarden about it and he told me I would get a ticket everytime a warden saw that set up. So... if you decide to do it... be extra sneaky and hide it well....

On another note any old style tank like that one has a diaphram in it and when you buy that tank if the diaphram has not recently been replaced you need to replace it..... the diaphram costs about $40 and isn't too bad to replace. My $0.02....
It's not an electric pump it is a fuel pump from a newer OMC motor. It's not a hard mod but it does cost a few bucks.

Okay... Finally got the boat registered. That took most of my day off today. I was able to work on it a little today before it rained a smalll amount. I took everything out and cleaned the interior. took a wire brush to the inside sides and primered the inner walls. I'm not doing the floor. it's a duck bot so I figure I either need to put in a floor or leave it alone. It's certainly not shiny at all, so I'm not worried about it for now.
Wired the trailer lights yesterday and I am making some guide ons. My trailer is so much wider than the boat so I am using some 2x4's sticking strait up. I painted them white but I think I'll wrap them with carpet now just so they don't put white on the boat if it happens to rub against them.
I either need a new winch or a new strap for the one I got. It works fine, but the strap has been cut way down and is not really usefull past 7 feet. I'll probably just get a new one.

I took pics but have not loaded them yet... I'll get around to it...

Okay guys maybe I should put this in the motor section but I'm gonna try to get this sucker started this weekend. Have no gas can yet, any help on that is welcome... I'm gonna see if it will start on fluid at least... Gotta be ready by 15th for duck season. Cutting it close...
Have to do the other side camo paint and blind. But the primer and base is done so it should not take more than a few hours to knock them both out... Then wire the headlights and besides the motor, I'm done!

dtwarrow said:
Okay guys maybe I should put this in the motor section but I'm gonna try to get this sucker started this weekend. Have no gas can yet, any help on that is welcome... I'm gonna see if it will start on fluid at least... Gotta be ready by 15th for duck season. Cutting it close...
Have to do the other side camo paint and blind. But the primer and base is done so it should not take more than a few hours to knock them both out... Then wire the headlights and besides the motor, I'm done!
Don't use starting fluid it doesn't have any lubricating properties. Just use a spray bottle with the proper fuel oil mix.
They do make a starting fluid with lube if you can find it.

Finished the transom, got the other side painted and the blind sewn on and painted but not brushed yet.
Got a good line on a gas can... Looking over the motor, carb looks new, so thats a good thing I think. I have not tried to get it started yet, taking your advise and not starting it on fluid alone. Should have a gas can some day this week and go from there...

Well, I found a local gas can rebuilt for under 50. Nice guy too.
I have not been able to get the motor to run, but it has spark and did start for about 5 seconds a few times... Hope I just have to adjust the amnt of gas it gets... Two knobs on the front for adjustments. All the markings mostly rubbed off but they are both attached to the carb. Lower one looks like it opens up more fuel, top one looks like it opens more air... That will be fun adjusting that just right...
But it's getting fuel and spark... So I'm sure I'll get it to run... not sure how well it will run...

Update. Been a while since I worked on the boat. I didn't get to use it last season for duck hunting so I kinda put it off for a while. I was able to get the old 15 hp motor to run but it has other issues. looks like compression and needs an impeller. I currently have the carb apart to clean it. So when it runs it will be a backup as the compression is lowr in bottom cylinder than top. Not by too much but still dont want to run it if I dont have to. So I bought a 9.5 seahorse that runs great so far.
I had a 2x4 carpeted in the front of the trailer for the boat to sit on in front. I replaced it with a roller.
I got some ply and cut it to fit the mid floor. Sealed it and have carpet to put on it. SO the boat will have a floor in the middle. Up front I may leave open for decoy storage, but I do have enough wood and carpet to floor it if I want.
Thats about it. Finally able to get it on the water so I'll prob take it out fishing next weekend to see how things go. This is my first duck boat and I didnt want to put much into it. I'll be on the lookout for afishing boat soon though. That I will make as nice as the rest of yours on here. I really don't care much how the duck boat looks as long as it gets me there and is hidden from ducks.

pics

Attachments

• seahrs9.5.JPG
    seahrs9.5.JPG
    691.3 KB · Views: 870
  • Roller.JPG
    Roller.JPG
    562.3 KB · Views: 870
cut the plywood, sealed it and let that dry. then Icut the carpet to size and glued it on and stapled it underneath.

Attachments

• flr1.jpg
    flr1.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 855
  • flr4.jpg
    flr4.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 855
  • flr3.jpg
    flr3.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 855
  • flr2.jpg
    flr2.jpg