On board charger

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBlaster

Reaction score
I purchased a single bank on board charger for my boat but am a little confused based on a few other comments Ive read. Ive seen mention that everything should be disconnected from the battery before charging but the idea behind an on board is that all you have to do is plug it in. So, should there be some sort of disconnect switch between the battery and the buss bar for use when charging? If so, how large a switch should it be, where would I get it and how do I wire it up? I would assume this would only be wired on the positive side?

Another quick question about on board chargers in general. My charger is the BPS model that Pro Mariner makes. Its a 3 stage smart charger with the third stage being a maintenance mode. Does this mean the boat should be plugged in at all times when its not being used?

IMO any battery that is exposed to the temperature changes of being stored in an area that isn't climate controlled, or has long periods of inactivity, will have a longer life if it's kept on a maintainer/maintenance type charger. This is especially true if the battery is exposed to the freezing temps and little to no use during winter.

It will definately be exposed to freezing temps and long periods of inactivity during the winter months. I keep my boat in the garage so its out of the weather but theres no heat out there.

How about the disconnect switch? Needed or not?

i dont disconnect anything while charging just be sure everything is off. I do unplugg my trolling motor but that is so it wont come on when i cover my boat
I also leave my charger plugged in 24/7

I have had both BPS and Minn Kota on board chargers. I've always kept my boats in unheated garages. I live in north Georgia now, but I'm from northern Indiana. When my boat isn't in the the water the charger is plugged in. You don't need a disconnect.

Keep it plugged in, check. No disconnect needed, check. Thanks alot guys!! I was getting mad at myself because I allready ordered the few things I still needed for my electrical but hadnt considered or ordered a disconnect switch and was gonna have to pay extra shipping for a second order. Thanks again!

Latest posts