Padding battery box

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark3

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am currently replacing one of batteries that sits up front in a 14' flat bottom.

I went with a interstate srm-29 and a new noco gen1 onboard charger. It powers a 30# transom troller and a 898 humminbird. I also have a optima red top as a starting/tilting battery in the back.

My question is..should padding the bottom of a battery box be done to minimize the effects of the boat slamming around up front? Maybe like egg crate, or some other type of foam?? My last battery only lasted less then two years but then again it was a maxx29 with a shumacher charger. Thanks

If you could it would probably not hurt anything. I am kind of leery working around batteries. I closed a hood one time on a pickup truck and the battery exploded. I opened the hood back up and there was battery acid all over everything. It is a good thing the hood was closed when it exploded or I could have been burned. I was told the plates inside the battery probably touched each other and caused a spark inside which set it off with the vibration of the hood closing. So it probably would be a good idea in my opinion to cushion it.