Plywood Question....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac

Reaction score
The only 5/8 Exterior grade plywood locally available is pressure treated heavy stuff. I'm thinking of using Interior grade, coating with two good coats of Acrylic Latex Enamel and then adding the marine grade carpeting and in so doing, will be coating the edges with Liquid Nails as well. The boat will be garage kept once modified. The edges will be rounded before painting and any voids will be filled as well before paint is applied. I'd appreciate hearing your experinces that may apply to the above. Thanks, and Good Fishing, Mac

sounds good to me i use marine grade but only cuase i get it cheap and the liguid nail will hold it good mine has been done about 4 months and they aint any thing coming loose .you will be fine that way looks like you know what you are doing

you might want to search the site someone posted a tread on here this summer about useing pressure treated caused his boat to react to the pressure treated stuff and had to remove it

up date
Pressure treated and marine grade plywood is corrosive to aluminum. You have to be careful that there is no direct contact between that kind of wood and bare aluminum.

Like eveyone else has said, usually plain plywood with a waterproofer will work well. I use that for the floor of my boat. With a carpet adhesive on top of the water proofer, it's about as water-resistant as it gets.

hardwatergrampa said:
you might want to search the site someone posted a tread on here this summer about useing pressure treated caused his boat to react to the pressure treated stuff and had to remove it
not trying to be rude but i know that,and i think he does to he said he was going to use interior grade plywood and seal it

Plywood structural quality goes something like this: Exterior grade < interior grade < furniture grade < marine grade. This is a simplification and there are plenty of exceptions, where I get ply the warehouse carries something like close to 200 varieties. Another way of grading ply is by counting the layers in the ply, the more the better. Or the heavier the better, well not for a boat but in most cases. Or the more it costs the better it is...but then it's time to consider aluminum.

You'll do just fine with interior grade sealed up like you describe.

Thanks to all for your replies. I've gone with the interior 5/8, it's really a tad over in thickness now that I understand their sizing measurements. Will be giving it three coats of Acrylic Gloss Enamel after having rounded the edges with a router round over bit and sealing any edge voids with Rock Hard Water Putty and then sanding smooth. Overall, I've sanded with a 80 grit random orbital sander.....will use less paint when smoother on the first coat, but not sanding any finer than that. Waiting on the delivery of the boat from the dealership. It's awaiting a trailer being made by Shorelander. Have been over to measure for flooring and have the decking pieces done, will have to make the framing/bracing when I get the boat.

Thanks again, appreciate the help muchly.......Good Fishing, Mac

dedawg1149 said:
hardwatergrampa said:
not trying to be rude but i know that,and i think he does to he said he was going to use interior grade plywood and seal it
thanks for correting me i miss read the post

Latest posts