POST YOUR PIC'S FISHING GALLERY.......

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After that successful trip, I want to try it with a fly rod. So I tied up some big, 4/0 flies, about 6" long, with heavy dumbbell eyes. We were catching the fish on 5 and 7" fluke-type plastics, so I wanted a fly that would give a similar profile. This is just something I made up:

Resized_20230626_174814.jpeg
Resized_20230626_174802.jpeg

Here is the fly next to the hot lure of the day:

Resized_20230626_184156.jpeg

They look pretty good in the vise, but what about in the water?

While taking the kids out on the lake yesterday, I decided to see how they swam in the water. Cast it out, and starting working it in, and it was beautiful in the water. Swimming, pulsing, it really looked alive. Almost hypnotic to see. While we were admiring how it swam and talking about the action, the fly suddenly disappeared, and my rod doubled over. WHAT??!?

Resized_IMG_1858.jpeg

Not a big fish, but proof of concept DONE. They catch fish. Now, I just need to tie more, and maybe some of various sizes and colors. I'm curious if I can get a smaller one to swim like those big ones.

Attachments

• Resized_IMG_1857.jpeg
    Resized_IMG_1857.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20230626_174929.jpeg
    Resized_20230626_174929.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
After our last successful trip, I want to go try it with a fly rod. So I tied up some big, 4/0 flies, about 6" long, with heavy dumbell eyes. We were catching on 5 and 7" fluke-type plastics, so I figured this would give a simlar profile. Just something I made up, but they look good in the vise:

While taking the kids out on the lake yesterday, I decided to see how they swam in the water. Cast it out, and starting working it in, and it was beautiful in the water! Almost hypnotic. While we were admiring how it swam and talking about the action, a bass appeared and inhaled it.

Not a big fish, but proof of concept DONE. They catch fish. Now, I just need to tie more, and maybe some of some various sizes. Curious if I can get a smaller one to swim like the big ones.
Catching a fish on a fly you tied is one of the funnest things ever.

Heading to Canada in six weeks and taking my fly rod for some pike & bass. Not going to be tying my own for that trip, but it will still be fun!

Catching a fish on a fly you tied is one of the funnest things ever.

Heading to Canada in six weeks and taking my fly rod for some pike & bass. Not going to be tying my own for that trip, but it will still be fun!
If you want, I can give you the recipe to the one above. It's really easy. I like a 60 degree jig hook, but any hook works well.

1. Wrap the hook shank and spread a drop of superglue over it for toughness.
2. Cut 5" (or whatever length you want) of Fish Hair or similar, maybe 10 strands, and wrap down the shank, making a nice, thin "rat tail"
3. Cut about 6 strands of silver flashabou, just a bit longer than the fish hair, and add to the rat tail.
4. Tie a hackle feather off by the tail, add a drop of glue, then spiral the feather around the shank, toward the head, making a fuzzy body, Tie off about 1/4" behind the hook eye
5. Add two hackle or saddle feather "wings" from the head down the sides,to cover the hook.
6. Tie on dumbell eyes and wrap tightly, adding glue as needed to secure. DONE

It's a simple, wispy, sparsely tied fly, but it undulates and looks awesome in the water. I've caught almost all of my bass and saltwater fish on a similar structured fly. With some, I add a peacock herl "back", some have a pinch of red bucktail at the cheek area, and so on, but the rat tail and the tapered body are pretty consistent with my ties, and they always catch fish, at least predatory fish. Small versions of this crush the trout, too!

Hope this helps.

Yes, but we approach from the west. Best walleye I've ever seen come out of that lake. We usually fish for walleye in the morning, cast for pike and bass in the afternoon, tell lies and sip bourbon in the evenings. My PB from a couple years ago:

View attachment 115327
VERY NICE!

Best fishing trip I ever had was a few clicks south of Eagle Lake on 502. Back then (20+ years ago) you had to turn onto a logging road, go over/around the beaver dam and hump everything down a 50' embankment to get to the lake. Luckily the lodge we stayed at had a boat down there already, or we would have had to hump that down too. LOL I know I have pics some where. Ill try and find em and post em here.

Thanks! I might try a couple. I have all those materials, except for the eye "dumbells" and the hook. Both easily obtained.
Google the eyes, or you can get them at Bass Pro, Amazon, or many other places. Here are some, but there are many more:
https://www.amazon.com/BOUTICOL-Dumbbell-Materials-Realistic-Baitfish/dp/B09TQZV5SL/
Just tied up a couple of flies for our upcoming trip. Here is the sequence with pictures.

Materials: Fish hair, silver flashabou, hackle feathers, hooks, thread, super glue, dumbbell eyes:
Resized_20230627_144501.jpeg

Wrap the shank up and down, then add a pinch of fish hair and 4-6 strands of flash to make a thin "rat tail" and smear a drop of superglue to bond it tight to the hook:

Resized_20230627_145303.jpeg

Tie a hackle back near the tail, then wrap it toward the head to make a body. The glue bonds it securely:

Resized_20230627_145659.jpeg

Stroke the feather toward the back of the lure before the glue dries, so it's streamlined, then add a single hackle as a wing on either side:

Resized_20230627_150101.jpeg

Add the dumbbell eye, wrap many times, and soak with a big drop of superglue, and she is done:
Resized_20230627_150409.jpeg

This is a super-fast and easy fly to tie, and they catch. The profile should be long and sparse. They look amazingly real in the water.

You really don't need a jig hook, it's just what I had handy. I normally use an octopus hook or a regular J-hook.

Try various colors and sizes. One of my trout killers was maybe 2" long with olive, chartreuse and a pinch of red @ the throat. EVERYTHNIG eats that fly. Wish I could find my fly box or I'd post a pic of some variations, but look at your local baitfish and use your imagination.

I hope this helps someone hook up on the fly this summer.

P.S. They also make GREAT teasers! Just skip the dumbell eyes. You can use stick-on holographic eyes too, if you like.

Google the eyes, or you can get them at Bass Pro, Amazon, or many other places. Here are some, but there are many more:
https://www.amazon.com/BOUTICOL-Dumbbell-Materials-Realistic-Baitfish/dp/B09TQZV5SL/
Just tied up a couple of flies for our upcoming trip. Here is the sequence with pictures.

Materials: Fish hair, silver flashabou, hackle feathers, hooks, thread, super glue, dumbbell eyes:

Wrap the shank up and down, then add a pinch of fish hair and 4-6 strands of flash to make a thin "rat tail" and smear a drop of superglue to bond it tight to the hook:

Tie a hackle back near the tail, then wrap it toward the head to make a body. The glue bonds it securely:

Stroke the feather toward the back of the lure before the glue dries, so it's streamlined, then add a single hackle as a wing on either side:

Add the dumbbell eye, wrap many times, and soak with a big drop of superglue, and she is done:

This is a super-fast and easy fly to tie, and they catch. The profile should be long and sparse. They look amazingly real in the water.

You really don't need a jig hook, it's just what I had handy. I normally use an octopus hook or a regular J-hook.

Try various colors and sizes. One of my trout killers was maybe 2" long with olive, chartreuse and a pinch of red @ the throat. EVERYTHNIG eats that fly. Wish I could find my fly box or I'd post a pic of some variations, but look at your local baitfish and use your imagination.

I hope this helps someone hook up on the fly this summer.

P.S. They also make GREAT teasers! Just skip the dumbell eyes. You can use stick-on holographic eyes too, if you like.
Thanks for the pics. I'll be running into town today and maybe I'll stop by Bass Pro to see if they ahve any hooks and eyes. I could tie a few pretty quickly in different colors. One thing about Eagle Lake is that I've found that the pike will hit the perch colors pretty easily. Some black may also draw out some larger fish if I can drag it along the edge of a weed bed.

The issue I might have is that my big fly rod is an 8 wt. I caught a couple smaller pike on it last year and a couple bass, and it was a decent fight. Getting a 30" pike on that rod may be quite the fight. I had considered buying a 10 wt rod, but the annual Canada trip is my only trip targeting fish like that, so I had a hard time parting with $600-ish dollars to set up that rig. The risk I run, of course is breaking the 8 wt on a monster fish. Large musky also prowl those waters, though I've never seen one "in the flesh" in my previous four trips to Eagle Lake.

If I break my 8 wt on this trip, then that impacts my next trip which starts only a week later. My wife and I are taking 30 days up in Alaska, and I have a day set up with a guide to go fly fishing for Kenai River rainbows.

Thanks for the pics. I'll be running into town today and maybe I'll stop by Bass Pro to see if they ahve any hooks and eyes. I could tie a few pretty quickly in different colors. One thing about Eagle Lake is that I've found that the pike will hit the perch colors pretty easily. Some black may also draw out some larger fish if I can drag it along the edge of a weed bed.

The issue I might have is that my big fly rod is an 8 wt. I caught a couple smaller pike on it last year and a couple bass, and it was a decent fight. Getting a 30" pike on that rod may be quite the fight. I had considered buying a 10 wt rod, but the annual Canada trip is my only trip targeting fish like that, so I had a hard time parting with $600-ish dollars to set up that rig. The risk I run, of course is breaking the 8 wt on a monster fish. Large musky also prowl those waters, though I've never seen one "in the flesh" in my previous four trips to Eagle Lake.

If I break my 8 wt on this trip, then that impacts my next trip which starts only a week later. My wife and I are taking 30 days up in Alaska, and I have a day set up with a guide to go fly fishing for Kenai River rainbows.
Ray,
Why don't you pick up an inexpensive IM8 rod and see how you like it? I've heard good things about the Okuma, and it's less than $100, and can be at your door in a few days. Look:
https://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Graphite-4-Piece-10-11-Gray/dp/B001V7KT66/
I've had pretty good success with the Okuma name. I love their fly reels, I have several.

This Penn Battle 10wt. may not be bad:
https://www.amazon.com/PENN-Battle-Fly-Fishing-Rod/dp/B08X183SZT
There are others, too:
https://www.amazon.com/MAXIMUMCATCH-Maxcatch-Predator-Saltwater-Fishing/dp/B0744DKRBR/https://www.amazon.com/MAXIMUMCATCH-Maxcatch-Extreme-Graphite-4-Piece/dp/B074W33RJ5
It's not a bad thing to have an inexpensive "beater" rod, especially if it feels pretty good in the hand.

Just a thought...

Last edited:
If you don't high-stick the rod, or have the drag set too heavy, you shouldn't have to worry about breaking a rod, but I understand the fear.

Get a beater rod and you won't have to worry. Free return if you have Prime and can't stand the feel of it. But you never know... you might actually like the rod. I picked up a $79 Pflueger 5 wt. for a trip that I thought I'd return... Never did. Still one of my fav trout and panfish rods years later. It just feels good in the hand, despite the low entry price.

Last edited:
Took my Sea Nymph (not sold yet) out for the first time in a month or so as river has been low. Took my 16 year old grandson out. He was a big help and I was able to stay dry with his help. Fished from about 9am until 2pm. Fishing was sporadic, but in the end, he out caught me 10-6. All smallies on a variety of lures. Highlight was the last fish, a hefty 19"er!

PMTTplw.jpg

nEgH8DH.jpg

Pi7ZneY.jpg

61pmkkS.jpg

VDynATZ.jpg

nGENCYA.jpg

Finally found the Canada pics. Had to scan actual photographs (what are those?? lol)

First one my buddy Kev caught a greedy Northern
Second one is the biggest walleye I have ever caught. 28" and over 9#'s. Probably closer to 10#.
Third is our stringer halfway through the day
Fourth is me with our stringer (and my walleye) for the day. Apparently, I was not a happy camper for some reason. lol

Canada 2005 (1).PNGCanada 2005 (2).PNGCanada 2005 (3).PNGCanada 2005 (4).PNG