Predator Hunting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panFried

Reaction score
Taking my first crack at coyote hunting tomorrow. Using a call in a heavily populated area. Should have good luck. Send pics soon!

I made my first and second trip this winter. We used a Primos Turbo Dogg electronic call but didn't have any luck. Hope you do better than we did.

Well I had a great time but I didn't see any coyotes. We used a neighbors pred call, which contained rabbit and fawn. Tried rabbit in the fields and fawn on some of the wooded trails around dusk. Like I said, it was first try so if you all have any suggestions that would be great!

The guys I know that hunt them frequently say that you need to have one of the "critter" decoy things to keep the coyotes attention, or they'll most likely spot you and run before you see them or get a shot at them. We had one of those also but we still didn't seen any.

You mean one of the decoys that wiggle around periodically or fawn/rabbit?

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/hunting-hunting-decoys-predator-decoys-miscellaneous/_/N-1100086/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104515380?WTz_l=SBC%3B+LNcat104513580%3Bcat104714280

They are smart, especially in the rural areas.....one of the best predator hunts I had was while shooting prairie dogs on my grandparents farm in Kansas......we were having a blast shooting at the dogs when a pair of Coyotes came to see what we were doing......needless to say we got two kinds of dogs that day.....22-250 took care of the coyotes at 300yds......we were even in the back of the old farm truck.....no decoys....just very stupid prairie dogs.

bigwave said:
They are smart, especially in the rural areas.....one of the best predator hunts I had was while shooting prairie dogs on my grandparents farm in Kansas......we were having a blast shooting at the dogs when a pair of Coyotes came to see what we were doing......needless to say we got two kinds of dogs that day.....22-250 took care of the coyotes at 300yds......we were even in the back of the old farm truck.....no decoys....just very stupid prairie dogs.
Nice! We are having a big problem in our area with predators taking out deer and turkey. That's really my goal to protect the fawns and turkeys so I can get them :p I've seen them passing thru or sunning in the fields, but now that I want to harvest, of course they are no where to be found. Joys of Hunting!

Yea I was talking about one of those things that spins and flops around every few seconds. It's supposed to look like an injured rabbit I'm told, but it looks like a squirrel raped a rabbit if you ask me. :lol: Most of the ones we see around here are at night when we aren't allowed to shoot them. I've only seen a few out in the daylight hours but we had hopes the call would lure them in.

JMichael said:
Yea I was talking about one of those things that spins and flops around every few seconds. It's supposed to look like an injured rabbit I'm told, but it looks like a squirrel raped a rabbit if you ask me. :lol: Most of the ones we see around here are at night when we aren't allowed to shoot them. I've only seen a few out in the daylight hours but we had hopes the call would lure them in.
That's awesome! I can just see myself at Cabela's now... "Um can you help me, I'm looking for the squirrel-raping-a-rabbit decoy by Primos" LOL

LoL OK, here's what we were using. It's called the Crazy Critter by Primos. The dial on the side of the unit determines how frequently the thing spins and it's seems to control the rpm also but I'm not sure on that part.

[youtube]BMmUMBK-VVY[/youtube]

Some guy up in Palatine (near chicago) was looking to kill some yotes so he stuck a deer carcass in his backyard (yes, he was in town). His neighbors 9 year old german shepard decided to investigate and he shot it, no yotes yet, but he did get himself a free ride to the police dept while under arrest. Just heard this on the radio today
Never a dull moment in the most corrupt, mis-governed, in debt state.
Tim

shooting prairiae dogs is some fun, love to see those helicopter and back flips when one gets hit. Would love to do it again sometime.

TNtroller said:
shooting prairiae dogs is some fun, love to see those helicopter and back flips when one gets hit. Would love to do it again sometime.
It is even better if the dogs have not been shot at.......they are pretty smart, but if you shoot on a town that has had several generations between hunts it is a blast. My favorite is when you shoot one out of the hole, and his buddy comes out to see what is going on.......we call that a double helicopter........ :mrgreen: There are literally thousands of those pasture destroying rodent's on my family's farm in Kansas.......the farmers spend lots of money trying to rid the property.....they always come back though.

I'd love to try some long range shooting on something like those prairie dogs. I don't own a small caliber long range gun like most use for that, but if I lived in an area that had them, I'd buy a 204 or similar gun and give it a whirl.

JMichael said:
LoL OK, here's what we were using. It's called the Crazy Critter by Primos. The dial on the side of the unit determines how frequently the thing spins and it's seems to control the rpm also but I'm not sure on that part.

Thanks again JMichael! Gonna get one tomorrow as they are on sale for 20 bucks. Ill put it to the test this weekend. I see it got good reviews, but well see.

I think this time ill use this decoy and rabbit call in field but sit on hill side about 100+ yrds away with 243 80-100 gr.

bigwave said:
TNtroller said:
It is even better if the dogs have not been shot at.......they are pretty smart, but if you shoot on a town that has had several generations between hunts it is a blast. My favorite is when you shoot one out of the hole, and his buddy comes out to see what is going on.......we call that a double helicopter........ :mrgreen: There are literally thousands of those pasture destroying rodent's on my family's farm in Kansas.......the farmers spend lots of money trying to rid the property.....they always come back though.

Let me know if you need some help with them "dogs" :wink: would love to do that kind of trip again. I even have a .223 varmit rig, ready to travel.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
My brother and I predator hunt at night. Thought I'd share these nighttime bow kills with you.
That's a nice fox! I have a few Greys on my farm. I'd love to score one to mount.

panFried said:
RiverBottomOutdoors said:
My brother and I predator hunt at night. Thought I'd share these nighttime bow kills with you.
That's a nice fox! I have a few Greys on my farm. I'd love to score one to mount.

Greys are easy to call at night. Grey fox distress and pup distress brings them charging in.

Latest posts