Project SeaArk (NO 56K) Update New Pics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waterfowler, i did think about that and if you check the reviews which got 4.9 out of 5 for 33 reviews that was the one thing they said about them, dont unhook until your ready to launch! I think im gonna give them a try and since mines a flatbottom i dont have to pull in very far. So ill back the boat as far as i need then unhook. If i have problems i will definetly post about it on here. Thanks for your concern

Waterfowler said:
You did a great job on that trailer looks great.

Thanks, Just got some non treated this afternoon. Guess I will replace it before I continue on to something else and I will ask before I buy paint...LOL.

Waterfowler Looks like you have some nice Nikon Equipment there, What type of photography do you take?

carolinasled said:
Waterfowler said:
You did a great job on that trailer looks great.

Thanks, Just got some non treated this afternoon. Guess I will replace it before I continue on to something else and I will ask before I buy paint...LOL.

Waterfowler Looks like you have some nice Nikon Equipment there, What type of photography do you take?

Thanks! If you go into the Camera and Photo fourm waterwings posted the link to my website.
I like the wildlife,landscape, or what ever catches my eye.

i used marine grade on my new transom but the wood that came out was PT that my uncle put in there over 20 years ago. it didnt have any pinholes or any oxidation at all so mabey he had it sealed up really well from getting any kind of water into it? i should think you should be okay with carpet over the bunks and coats of paint on the bottom of the boat if mine had 20 years plus of being up against bare aluminum?

monarch1652 said:
i used marine grade on my new transom but the wood that came out was PT that my uncle put in there over 20 years ago. it didnt have any pinholes or any oxidation at all so mabey he had it sealed up really well from getting any kind of water into it? i should think you should be okay with carpet over the bunks and coats of paint on the bottom of the boat if mine had 20 years plus of being up against bare aluminum?

The wood your uncle used over 20 years ago is nothing like the wood being sold today. The amount of copper used in wood was boosted from around 18% in those days to 96% in some cases after the use of arsenic in wood was banned by the EPA Jan, 2004.

Howard said:
Newer PT is suppose to be safe to use.
This is not accurate...... there are but only a couple brands that are.

Brine said:
The wood your uncle used over 20 years ago is nothing like the wood being sold today. The amount of copper used in wood was boosted from around 18% in those days to 96% in some cases after the use of arsenic in wood was banned by the EPA Jan, 2004.

This is spot on..... and good insight as to why now days the pitting and corrosion can occur so quickly. :wink:

carolinasled said:
dyeguy1212 said:
You might want to do some research on PT wood before you decide to stick with it... search function in the top right.

PT wood causes corrosion on aluminum, and from what I've gathered it can occur pretty quickly when the boat sits on wet bunks so often. Most people go with normal lumber with a water sealer or urethane on it.

Thanks for the tip, I will check into that since the bunks are about a foot too short anyways. I kinda wish I could find 2x4 end caps to cover the carpeted bunk ends....

you could cut the ends at an angle 45* or steeper instead of leaving them square.

Got the wood sealed and carpeted last night and must say the practice I had with the first bunks sure has paid off with the second set not getting as much glue on carpet like the first go around. Hoping to get the motor off the hull tonight so this weekend I can start prepping it for paint.

So I got the Bunks Redone and carpeted again. I also made the bunks about a foot longer.

IMG_0263.jpg

A buddy down the street came over and helped me load the boat back on the trailer, The bunk placement looks pretty good.

IMG_0268.jpg

The Trailer already makes the combo look better and not a eye sore. Here is a few other pics, One of my youngest wanting to get in the garage so bad and the other ready to go fishing. Gonna try and get the motor off this weekend and flip the hull to start with it.

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

for paint i would not go with anything you find in your local hardware store. i painted my trailer and a previous boat with rustoleum and it peeled and did not look great. so this time around i did a google search for auto paint places around my town. i found one, went in, and these people were experts. i walked out with tons of knowledge and was assured my paint would not peel crack or chip. i got an entire gallon of paint for around 60 bucks...which if you compare to rustoleum those prices are not that bad for real automotive enamel...

my trailer looks amazing and i know the paint will be there for the next 10 years. my two cents is spend a bit more money and get better quality paint...may cost more but taking a boat out on the water that you spent 100 hours working on only to have the paint peeling and chipping is not that much fun. i did that once and the only way to fix it was to sandblast the thing and start all over.

So last Saturday we removed the motor from the boat and I relocated the light brackets to the guide bunks (still learning a uphill weld and getting the bead to flatten out) and yesterday I made the room in the garage to get the boat flipped for prep and paint. I was wanting to spray the paint but I'm leaning towards rolling multiple coats on it. I'm gonna go with a oil based paint like Rustoleum, Any one have any tips that has painted with this stuff? I think I have picked out the paint and we will use xo-26 pebble.

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Your tail lights need to be turned 90º the side marker lights need to be pointing to the side.

So Tuesday I go and get the paint. I bought Majic Camo 8-0852 Khaki instead of the XO-Rust and Painted it today. Wouldn't you know I go out there a little while ago just to take a second look at the paint to see if it settled and it did but just the wrong color. The can showed Khaki but inside was Olive Drab. I will be repainting the boat here in a day or two again partly my fault for not paying that much attention and the companies. But they do warranty this paint, so there must be some kind of problem in this department at the company.

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

Got the bottom and sides painted and back on the trailer. I was concerned about the paint but I left it to see it in the sunshine and I like it. Gonna Start the Interior tomorrow.

IMG_03443.jpg